Tenderness Gene

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know about hte tenderness gene testing that the University has been doing? How does this DNA testing work?

There is a company in Austalia that has been working on identifying the genes responsible for the post mortem degredation of muscle tissue by enzymes which has been known as aging. Please register so we can talk more and review some of my old threads. I have been very interested in this research. Seems like there was one group here in Texas that was working the gene angle very hard but moved his herd to Australia. At the present time the King Ranch is working this area with Santa Gertrudis and if you do some research you will find that their are plenty of Angus Bulls that are homozygous for this trait but not a single female. I think this is related to using registed bulls and not putting much emphasis on female improvement or possibly lack of testing females. "Calpastatin" should get you some articles, also Genstar.

You can see my web page here at cattletoday - Circle Red S I have a section on the testing we have done on Pinzgauer cattle. You can also check out http://www.bovigensolutions.com they are the US rep for GeneSTAR.
I believe this testing is valuable and have sold a couple of bulls because of their test. The industry is changing to where quality is more important than weight. One private branded beef lable that guarentees tender meat is geting over $50 per pound for tender loin and cant keep it in stock.

paul swisher":1jgn0aee said:
You can see my web page here at cattletoday - Circle Red S I have a section on the testing we have done on Pinzgauer cattle. You can also check out http://www.bovigensolutions.com they are the US rep for GeneSTAR.
I believe this testing is valuable and have sold a couple of bulls because of their test. The industry is changing to where quality is more important than weight. One private branded beef lable that guarentees tender meat is geting over $50 per pound for tender loin and cant keep it in stock.
$50 per pound??????WOW!!!!!!!!!! You can Buy CAB for much less than that and it will have Flavor plus tenderness.

A friend of mine that went to a cattlemens meeting in South Dakota( possibly the national cattlemans ) said that someone from genestar ? not sure of all the details said that it had a 10% corelation to actual tenderness .
Anyone know of the meeting or the actual quote of correlation %? If this is true it is of no significant value.

attended talk by prof in charge of bovine genome project at a tx school. We got him talking and he stated that he thought there would be more than 1 gene or trait. flavor is differnt from tenderness and just tender isn't necessarily all good (soft pork) He thought flavor was probably influenced by at least half dozen traits including marbling, temperment, muscling patterns ect. made a lot of sense.

jls":13qmzfo5 said:
attended talk by prof in charge of bovine genome project at a tx school. We got him talking and he stated that he thought there would be more than 1 gene or trait. flavor is differnt from tenderness and just tender isn't necessarily all good (soft pork) He thought flavor was probably influenced by at least half dozen traits including marbling, temperment, muscling patterns ect. made a lot of sense.

Agreed, One would have to believe that there are multiple genes and the Tendergene test is identical to the Genstar test. One would ask why would anyone chase such a small change ? The answer is "If you don't pay, you can't play. Genetics is moving forward at a whirlwind pace. If we start now we can hopefully have this gene fully distributed in our primary breeding herds about the time that the next gene is identified and commerically tested for. Over a period of years those ahead of the curve should be in posistion to capture the market and sell those highly sought after bulls and heifers. Could be wrong and open to any thoughts as to why this plan is faulty.

paul swisher":28znn713 said:

Paul , Do you have any females that have all of the loci for this trait as well as the marbling test ? I have not been able to find any to flush.

la4angus":qlzu3ghd said:
paul swisher":qlzu3ghd said:
$50 per pound??????WOW!!!!!!!!!! You can Buy CAB for much less than that and it will have Flavor plus tenderness.

you say that cab is available for less please tell what you know about cab such as any black hide qualifies as cab.

all cab really defines is beef the word certified has no merit as the animals that are allowed to be sold under the cab program carry no documentatioin as being angus.

second do your research there is very few purebred angus herds from thirty years ago. angus have been upbread with all breeds. if the american angus association has dna records on bulls from 30 years ago. you would find this out.

so that leaves b for beef. the cab program has one letter with a dual meaning that is the letter b {b for beef} {or b for bs.]

where does the c for certified come in how are these animals certified.

a for angus where is the proff of them being angus. a black hide does not constitute being sold as cab. theycould be holsteinor simmetal or numerous breeds.

the cab program is like a runaway train there is no documentation as to where these animals are produced or what their true genetic makeup is. its a shame the logo {cab} doenst contain the letters f or j because then it could be defined as what it is a FARCE a JOKE perpertrated on the american consumer.

I don't know who you are but I agree with you

guest":3pr8c426 said:
la4angus":3pr8c426 said:
paul swisher":3pr8c426 said:

you say that cab is available for less please tell what you know about cab such as any black hide qualifies as cab.

all cab really defines is beef the word certified has no merit as the animals that are allowed to be sold under the cab program carry no documentatioin as being angus.

second do your research there is very few purebred angus herds from thirty years ago. angus have been upbread with all breeds. if the american angus association has dna records on bulls from 30 years ago. you would find this out.

so that leaves b for beef. the cab program has one letter with a dual meaning that is the letter b {b for beef} {or b for bs.]

a for angus where is the proff of them being angus. a black hide does not constitute being sold as cab. theycould be holsteinor simmetal or numerous breeds.

the cab program is like a runaway train there is no documentation as to where these animals are produced or what their true genetic makeup is. its a shame the logo {cab} doenst contain the letters f or j because then it could be defined as what it is a FARCE a JOKE perpertrated on the american consumer.

A. delaGarza":2xiadf50 said:
I don't know who you are but I agree with you

guest":2xiadf50 said:
la4angus":2xiadf50 said:
paul swisher":2xiadf50 said:

YOU NEED TO READ THE POSTS ON THE BREEDS BOARD THIS WILL TURN SOME HEADS

"you say that cab is available for less please tell what you know about cab such as any black hide qualifies as cab."

Any black hided animal qualifies visually for CAB. But it's not certified until it has been graded.

"all cab really defines is beef the word certified has no merit as the animals that are allowed to be sold under the cab program carry no documentatioin as being angus."

There's no requirement in the USDA approved CAB specifications. The requirement is that the animal be mostly black, no dairy influence, minimal hump. Tell me how it got black if not Angus?

"second do your research there is very few purebred angus herds from thirty years ago. angus have been upbread with all breeds. if the american angus association has dna records on bulls from 30 years ago. you would find this out."

Talks cheap, show me the proof that Angus have been "upbread" from all breeds.

"so that leaves b for beef. the cab program has one letter with a dual meaning that is the letter b {b for beef} {or b for bs.] "

Aren't you cute...

"where does the c for certified come in how are these animals certified."

These animals are certified when they meet the USDA approves specifications set up by the American Angus Association. I've posted a link somewhere and will do it again if you ask nicely.

"a for angus where is the proff of them being angus. a black hide does not constitute being sold as cab. theycould be holsteinor simmetal or numerous breeds. "

Holsteins are dairy. CAB specs disqualify dairy influence. Simmentals are red or yellow; they can't qualify. If they're black, they have Angus in them.

"the cab program is like a runaway train there is no documentation as to where these animals are produced or what their true genetic makeup is. its a shame the logo {cab} doenst contain the letters f or j because then it could be defined as what it is a FARCE a JOKE perpertrated on the american consumer."

I'd agree it's a runaway train. We sell more beef every year for more money. Producers, feeders, packers, retailers are all making lots of money off CAB. Consumers are apparently happy with it because they buy more every years. Poor American consumer. When he decides he doesn't like the CAB program, he'll stop buying it.

Angus; grew up around angus cattle and don't remember ever seeing one with white (usually down low and towards the back) like you do today. Seems also that Angus started getting a bad rap for attitude about the time that skinny chia head and ear set started. I really laugh when I drive past the ranch on the major E-West 4 lane with the sign advertising reg. angus and maine cattle. Know someone who sold a murray grey bull into an old reg. angus herd not long ago because it looked more like the traditional angus than todays cattle

It makes me laugh when guys with a negative scrotal EPD sign on as a Guest. If you really belive that BS that you wrote about CAB, be a man and sign your name, or do grow broilers for Tyson. The drawback of free speech is when those who know little, say alot. The problem with the cattle industry isn't CAB. They are the largest branded beef organization in the world. They can sell more than we can produce, and sales have increased every year. The problem is, most people's cattle can't meet the minumum requirements. Of those cattle who qualify by having 51% black hide, most fail for one of two reasons. Either lack of marbling gets them on the Quality Grade or excess fat gets them on the Yield Grade, or, for those who really shouldn't be in the cattle business, both. When the people who do the breeding don't understand or don't care about the end product, the resulting end product won't meet the specified request. The people who feed cattle, who buy your calves and place them in a CAB liscensed feedlot, are asking for a few simple things. They want them to grow at a decent rate (YW EPDs), grade choice or better(ultrasound IMF), and Yield 1,2 or 3 (ultrasound BF and RP). The AAA has a vast data bank, with free access, that anyone can use to make breeding decisions to help you make progress towards improving your herd, so that your calves will pass these tests. And if you own these calves after they have met all the criteria, they give you money. It seems very simple to me. The American people have put in an order for tender juicy steaks. And if you will fill their order they will pay you cash. Capitalism and the American Dream all rolled into one. You don't even have to purchase new cattle. Just manage correctly those that you already own. No implants at weaning, no IM injections other than the neck, etc. At one of the Bull Tests (in Alabama I think) the top selling Angus bull ($3900) had a BF ratio of about 154, he wouldn't even make a good steer, and someone bought him to use as a herd bull. Another bull with a BF ratio of about 89, and a IMF ratio of about 120, and an ADG ratio of say 110 went for $1400. He is a better bull than most of the bulls that the semen companies are selling $30 a straw semen out of, to Registered Angus Breeders. As long as the wrong people are making the cattle breeding descisions in America, the product isn't going to match the order. Nothing is worse than going through the drive through of a fast food restaurant and then looking into the bag when you get your order and saying to yourself, "That's not what I ordered!!!" "How could they mess that up, it has only been 2 minutes and I am only 15 feet away." "Which part of large fries don't they understand?"

There are many different dna tests for different "parts" of tenderness. The American Simmental Assn. is the first breed "sheer force" testing carcass and using it to develop an EPD on tenderness.

From the reports I have read, DNA testing for A tenderness gene really doesn't tell you very much - too many things factor into tenderness - including many different genes. Of course, it must not hurt to have "the right gene", just not real meaningful. Makes great PR to advertise a bull - and NO, I have not DNA tested Macho, and don't plan on doing it.
Remember, only the ones with the "right gene" will advertise that they tested - did I or didn't I??? hmmmm

Dr. Wheeler of the USDA and his colleagues at the US Meat Animal Reserach Center have shown that the non-functional myostatin gene as exhibited by the Piedmontese breed has the largest impact on beef tenderness of any single genetic feature researched to date."

It is a registration requirement that Piedmontese be DNA tested to verify that they are 2 copy.

CKC1586":241l8zjp said:
single genetic feature researched to date."

So that address' the genetics (to date), but it does nothing for managment. I'll wager that more good tender beef is screwed up by miss managment then any other reason. And then you through in the people that can't cook and you really have a can of worms.

dun