Tenderness Gene

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":2nxuy61z said:
Dr. Wheeler of the USDA and his colleagues at the US Meat Animal Reserach Center have shown that the non-functional myostatin gene as exhibited by the Piedmontese breed has the largest impact on beef tenderness of any single genetic feature researched to date."

It is a registration requirement that Piedmontese be DNA tested to verify that they are 2 copy.

I think that's a good requirement. Double muscled breeds seem to be having a difficult time breaking into the commercial cattle breeding market. If they can, at least, say their breed is DNA tested to have the tenderness gene, it might help. Good luck...

From what I have read, the gene is predominant in the british breeds, present to a lesser degree in the continentals, and almost nonexistant in the brahman's. Also, it is very common in the Murray Grey's. I plan on doing gene testing on my animals this spring when I work them.(at least my bull and a few select cows and heifers. ;-) :) :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kerzwyon said:
There are many different dna tests for different "parts" of tenderness. The American Simmental Assn. is the first breed "sheer force" testing carcass and using it to develop an EPD on tenderness.

From the reports I have read, DNA testing for A tenderness gene really doesn't tell you very much - too many things factor into tenderness - including many different genes. Of course, it must not hurt to have "the right gene", just not real meaningful. Makes great PR to advertise a bull - and NO, I have not DNA tested Macho, and don't plan on doing it.
Remember, only the ones with the "right gene" will advertise that they tested - did I or didn't I??? hmmmm

Are you sure they are the first? Because the HW had an article with the results of the tests of the progeny of 60 Hereford reference sires months ago. It also had the Tenderness EPD for those sires listed.

dun":25h761g6 said:
CKC1586":25h761g6 said:
single genetic feature researched to date."

So that address' the genetics (to date), but it does nothing for managment. I'll wager that more good tender beef is screwed up by miss managment then any other reason. And then you through in the people that can't cook and you really have a can of worms.

dun

Thanks Dun, I think the breed has alot to offer. Hopefully with careful planning and management it will continue to grow in popularity. Funny you mention cooks, that was a leason to be learned with cooking fullblood Pied beef it cooks in about half the time of non Pied beef and if overcooked....well not recommended.

CKC1586":3hjavfxs said:
and if overcooked....well not recommended.

Over cooked isnt;t a problem I have. A lillte quiver would be nice, but my basic premise is "knock off their horns, wipe their scroungy butt and chase them through the kitchen"

dun

greenwillowherefords":1s8axor5 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1s8axor5 said:
There are many different dna tests for different "parts" of tenderness. The American Simmental Assn. is the first breed "sheer force" testing carcass and using it to develop an EPD on tenderness.

From the reports I have read, DNA testing for A tenderness gene really doesn't tell you very much - too many things factor into tenderness - including many different genes. Of course, it must not hurt to have "the right gene", just not real meaningful. Makes great PR to advertise a bull - and NO, I have not DNA tested Macho, and don't plan on doing it.
Remember, only the ones with the "right gene" will advertise that they tested - did I or didn't I??? hmmmm

Are you sure they are the first? Because the HW had an article with the results of the tests of the progeny of 60 Hereford reference sires months ago. It also had the Tenderness EPD for those sires listed.

Yes, I am VERY sure. I have been part of a consorteium committee involving Cornell, Colorado SU, Iowa SU & Univ of Georgia since 1999.
Simmental has the most amount of data of ANY breed and the first to develop an EPD

Double muscled breeds seem to be having a difficult time breaking into the commercial cattle breeding market.
Part of the reason would be that double muscled beef does not get USDA graded.

dun":16sx82y1 said:
CKC1586":16sx82y1 said:
and if overcooked....well not recommended.

Over cooked isnt;t a problem I have. A lillte quiver would be nice, but my basic premise is "knock off their horns, wipe their scroungy butt and chase them through the kitchen"

dun
Yeah, we like to cook our steaks with a flashlight - extra rare! :D

Best way I have found to get a steak to my liking is not to thaw it out, put it on the grill 5 min each side = PERFECT.
Nothin worse that overcooked meat in my opinion.

CKC1586":tm9h3fjq said:
Best way I have found to get a steak to my liking is not to thaw it out, put it on the grill 5 min each side = PERFECT.

Thawed, 1 1/2 minutes side one, 1 minute side two. Yummy

dun

dun":dm2vy6zv said:
CKC1586":dm2vy6zv said:

dun
:D :D Agreed :D :D But the family wants the middle warm.

CKC1586":39i4czu4 said:
dun":39i4czu4 said:
CKC1586":39i4czu4 said:

dun
:D :D Agreed :D :D But the family wants the middle warm.

Let them cook there own. But I'll admit I put my wifes on about 3 minutes before ine, then turn it when I put mine on. She likes it, or at least professes to Knows it wouldn;t do much good to squawk anyway after 30-plenty years.

dun

Na, I won't make em cook their own, don't get to see them as often as I would like to so I spoil em pretty good. Plus I am kinda possesive of the kitchen.... But I do draw the line at anything past "medium" I just can't do it.

guest":om68hws3 said:
la4angus":om68hws3 said:
paul swisher":om68hws3 said:
You can see my web page here at cattletoday - Circle Red S I have a section on the testing we have done on Pinzgauer cattle. You can also check out http://www.bovigensolutions.com they are the US rep for GeneSTAR.
I believe this testing is valuable and have sold a couple of bulls because of their test. The industry is changing to where quality is more important than weight. One private branded beef lable that guarentees tender meat is geting over $50 per pound for tender loin and cant keep it in stock.
$50 per pound??????WOW!!!!!!!!!! You can Buy CAB for much less than that and it will have Flavor plus tenderness.

you say that cab is available for less please tell what you know about cab such as any black hide qualifies as cab.

all cab really defines is beef the word certified has no merit as the animals that are allowed to be sold under the cab program carry no documentatioin as being angus.

second do your research there is very few purebred angus herds from thirty years ago. angus have been upbread with all breeds. if the american angus association has dna records on bulls from 30 years ago. you would find this out.

so that leaves b for beef. the cab program has one letter with a dual meaning that is the letter b {b for beef} {or b for bs.]

where does the c for certified come in how are these animals certified.

a for angus where is the proff of them being angus. a black hide does not constitute being sold as cab. theycould be holsteinor simmetal or numerous breeds.

the cab program is like a runaway train there is no documentation as to where these animals are produced or what their true genetic makeup is. its a shame the logo {cab} doenst contain the letters f or j because then it could be defined as what it is a FARCE a JOKE perpertrated on the american consumer.
[

Thans for telling it like it is -- Once the hide comes off you can not tell the difference. I guess it the packer only does cab and only sells to Whattaburger then cab might apply but it it comes from joeblows meat processing its meat processed to customer specifics [/b]

Latest posts