Tenderness and Double Muscling

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Steven A. Simpkins, Wendell H. McElhenney, W.B. Mikel, Hardin Rahe, Dwight F. Wolfe, Don R. Mulvaney, and Sarah P. Lino

Piedmontese beef cattle, a heavily muscled breed that recently was introduced into the United States, may provide Alabama beef producers with new breeding options and also may help AAES researchers unlock new information on the genetic links to quality attributes of beef.

Muscularity and tenderness are carcass traits that are receiving increased emphasis in beef cattle breeding programs; however, it is difficult to improve muscling and meat texture without compromising other important carcass traits, such as flavor. One possible approach to enhance muscling may be to use "double-muscled" sires in cross breeding schemes. Double-muscled does not mean that cattle have twice the muscles, but refers to cattle that have an increase in muscle fibers due to a genetic mutation of the myostatin gene.

A double-muscled breed, Piedmontese, exhibits superior muscularity and leanness because of mutations of the myostatin gene. This gene is involved in control of the number of muscle cells. Information about performance of Piedmontese-sired calves relative to more established breeds is limited, especially with regard to how double-muscled breeds fit into Alabama production schemes. An AAES study was initiated at the E.V. Smith Research Center in Shorter to evaluate growth and tenderness characteristics in calves sired by Piedmontese bulls compared to more traditional crosses with Hereford sires. The study also evaluated the effectiveness of using sires' standardized ribeye area (SREA) per unit weight to increase muscling in progeny in a nondouble-muscled beef breed.

Sixty-five steer and heifer calves from matings of Gelbvieh or Angus crossbred cows with high-muscled Polled Hereford (HH), moderate-muscled Polled Hereford (MH), or Piedmontese (PI) bulls were evaluated for growth from birth to slaughter. Assignment of the bulls to the HH group was based on SREA after weaning. Calves were placed on a high-energy ration until they reached a 0.45-inch backfat thickness (based on ultrasound scans).

No differences in initial feedlot weight among groups, sires within muscle groups, season, or sex at the initiation of feeding were observed. Calves from Gelbvieh crossbred cows were 72 pounds heavier than calves from Angus crossbred cows. Average daily gain did not differ significantly between HH and MH nor between either Hereford group compared indivdiually to PI. When data from the Hereford groups were combined, PI-sired calves gained 0.35 pound per day less than Hereford-sired calves. Days on feed did not differ between HH and MH or Hereford and PI; however, days on feed were greater for PI sired calves compared to MH calves (164 versus 132 days). Calves from Gelbvieh crossbred cows gained 0.57 pound per day faster than calves from Angus crossbred cows. Steer calves gained 0.46 pound per day faster than heifer calves. Also, calves from a spring breeding season gained 0.46 pound per day faster than calves from the fall calving season. Total feedlot gain of HH was 66 pounds greater than that of MH, but no differences between Hereford and Piedmontese were observed. Differences in gain between HH and MH could be due to the genetic propensity of MH to exhibit an early maturity pattern of development and begin to deposit fat (adipose) tissue at a lighter weight than HH calves. Differences between crossbred cow groups should not be interpreted as "breed" differences because of the limited number of sires represented.

No significant differences were observed between the Hereford groups for carcass measurements. Piedmontese-sired calves exhibited 0.4 units lower numerical yield grade and a 13.5% larger ribeye. No differences among the muscling groups were detected for marbling scores.

Strip loin steaks, approximately one inch thick were taken from the carcasses and cooked in a oven to an internal temperature of 132oF. The steaks were evaluated for tenderness, juiciness, flavor (off-flavor problems and flavor intensity), and weight loss during cooking.

No differences were detected in juiciness of the steaks, but steaks from PI-sired calves were more tender than steaks from Hereford-sired calves. There was less detectable off-flavor in steaks from PI-sired calves than that of Hereford; however, intensity of flavor as detected by sensory analysis was less in steaks from PI-sired calves. Panelists also determined that steaks from PI-sired calves had a higher degree of overall acceptability compared to Hereford-sired calves. Cooking loss was 20% less in PI-sired calves than in HH or MH calves.

Use of standardized ribeye area in Hereford cattle did not substantially improve muscularity in offspring; however, calves sired by the HH sires gained faster in the feedlot. Other objective predictors of muscling need to be explored and other strategies for using ultrasound ribeye measurements need to be considered. Use of double-muscled sires offers a model for studying ways to improve muscling and beef tenderness. Understanding the mechanisms by which the Piedmontese exhibit increased muscling, decreased marbling, and increased tenderness may greatly contribute to solving an industry problem of variability in tenderness and excessive carcass fat.

Wolfe is Professor of Large Animal Surgery and Medicine and Simpkins is a Student in Veterinary Medicine; McElhenney is a Research Fellow, Rahe is former Associate Professor, Mulvaney is Associate Professor, Lino is Lab Technician, and Mikel is former Associate Professor of Animal and Dairy Sciences.

MikeC":1tyx2rfj said:
No significant differences were observed between the Hereford groups for carcass measurements.
Mike does the study have any information how they selected identified the HH sires from the MH sires. It's an interesting article and all of it was as I thought but this piece of info I quoted. Were epd's used to determine HH or MH or was actual ultrasound evaluations?

We have been entertaining ways to improve the quality of our product and are considering the Piedmontese as one option for the spring breeding season.
Alot of posts on the breed and we're still exploring the breed.
Thanks for the article.
Dave Mc

MikeC":26wd07gx said:
Steven A. Simpkins, Wendell H. McElhenney, W.B. Mikel, Hardin Rahe, Dwight F. Wolfe, Don R. Mulvaney, and Sarah P. Lino

Piedmontese beef cattle, a heavily muscled breed that recently was introduced into the United States, may provide Alabama beef producers with new breeding options and also may help AAES researchers unlock new information on the genetic links to quality attributes of beef.

Muscularity and tenderness are carcass traits that are receiving increased emphasis in beef cattle breeding programs; however, it is difficult to improve muscling and meat texture without compromising other important carcass traits, such as flavor. One possible approach to enhance muscling may be to use "double-muscled" sires in cross breeding schemes. Double-muscled does not mean that cattle have twice the muscles, but refers to cattle that have an increase in muscle fibers due to a genetic mutation of the myostatin gene.

A double-muscled breed, Piedmontese, exhibits superior muscularity and leanness because of mutations of the myostatin gene. This gene is involved in control of the number of muscle cells. Information about performance of Piedmontese-sired calves relative to more established breeds is limited, especially with regard to how double-muscled breeds fit into Alabama production schemes. An AAES study was initiated at the E.V. Smith Research Center in Shorter to evaluate growth and tenderness characteristics in calves sired by Piedmontese bulls compared to more traditional crosses with Hereford sires. The study also evaluated the effectiveness of using sires' standardized ribeye area (SREA) per unit weight to increase muscling in progeny in a nondouble-muscled beef breed.

Sixty-five steer and heifer calves from matings of Gelbvieh or Angus crossbred cows with high-muscled Polled Hereford (HH), moderate-muscled Polled Hereford (MH), or Piedmontese (PI) bulls were evaluated for growth from birth to slaughter. Assignment of the bulls to the HH group was based on SREA after weaning. Calves were placed on a high-energy ration until they reached a 0.45-inch backfat thickness (based on ultrasound scans).

No differences in initial feedlot weight among groups, sires within muscle groups, season, or sex at the initiation of feeding were observed. Calves from Gelbvieh crossbred cows were 72 pounds heavier than calves from Angus crossbred cows. Average daily gain did not differ significantly between HH and MH nor between either Hereford group compared indivdiually to PI. When data from the Hereford groups were combined, PI-sired calves gained 0.35 pound per day less than Hereford-sired calves. Days on feed did not differ between HH and MH or Hereford and PI; however, days on feed were greater for PI sired calves compared to MH calves (164 versus 132 days). Calves from Gelbvieh crossbred cows gained 0.57 pound per day faster than calves from Angus crossbred cows. Steer calves gained 0.46 pound per day faster than heifer calves. Also, calves from a spring breeding season gained 0.46 pound per day faster than calves from the fall calving season. Total feedlot gain of HH was 66 pounds greater than that of MH, but no differences between Hereford and Piedmontese were observed. Differences in gain between HH and MH could be due to the genetic propensity of MH to exhibit an early maturity pattern of development and begin to deposit fat (adipose) tissue at a lighter weight than HH calves. Differences between crossbred cow groups should not be interpreted as "breed" differences because of the limited number of sires represented.

No significant differences were observed between the Hereford groups for carcass measurements. Piedmontese-sired calves exhibited 0.4 units lower numerical yield grade and a 13.5% larger ribeye. No differences among the muscling groups were detected for marbling scores.

Strip loin steaks, approximately one inch thick were taken from the carcasses and cooked in a oven to an internal temperature of 132oF. The steaks were evaluated for tenderness, juiciness, flavor (off-flavor problems and flavor intensity), and weight loss during cooking.

No differences were detected in juiciness of the steaks, but steaks from PI-sired calves were more tender than steaks from Hereford-sired calves. There was less detectable off-flavor in steaks from PI-sired calves than that of Hereford; however, intensity of flavor as detected by sensory analysis was less in steaks from PI-sired calves. Panelists also determined that steaks from PI-sired calves had a higher degree of overall acceptability compared to Hereford-sired calves. Cooking loss was 20% less in PI-sired calves than in HH or MH calves.

Use of standardized ribeye area in Hereford cattle did not substantially improve muscularity in offspring; however, calves sired by the HH sires gained faster in the feedlot. Other objective predictors of muscling need to be explored and other strategies for using ultrasound ribeye measurements need to be considered. Use of double-muscled sires offers a model for studying ways to improve muscling and beef tenderness. Understanding the mechanisms by which the Piedmontese exhibit increased muscling, decreased marbling, and increased tenderness may greatly contribute to solving an industry problem of variability in tenderness and excessive carcass fat.

Wolfe is Professor of Large Animal Surgery and Medicine and Simpkins is a Student in Veterinary Medicine; McElhenney is a Research Fellow, Rahe is former Associate Professor, Mulvaney is Associate Professor, Lino is Lab Technician, and Mikel is former Associate Professor of Animal and Dairy Sciences.

Do you have a link to this article? How old is it? We've apparently got one professor, one student, a research fellow, two fromer associate professors, a current associate professor and a lab tech referenced here. I'd really be interested in when and where this article was published.

Dwight Wolfe is my golfing buddy vet from Auburn. I'll see if I can find the link. I was very surprised when I found the article in while going through some Auburn Univ. stuff.

Didn't know Dwight had done this research.

Are you doubting the data because of the age of the article?

What difference would it make?

MikeC":4q7todt5 said:
Dwight Wolfe is my golfing buddy vet from Auburn. I'll see if I can find the link. I was very surprised when I found the article in while going through some Auburn Univ. stuff.

Didn't know Dwight had done this research.

Are you doubting the data because of the age of the article?

What difference would it make?

No, I'm not doubting the data, but would like to know when it was done and where it was published. A group here in OK has been reseaching and promoting Senepols for years. They've published articles, similar to this one, highlighting the strengths of the breed in magazines, newsletters, and newspapers. But I don't see Senepols in the pastures here in OK, at least in my area. From reading the boards, they've just never taken off in the south. Thus, if this article was published ten years ago, why haven't Piedmontese taken off in AL? Since the article says "Piedmontese beef cattle, a heavily muscled breed that recently was introduced into the United States..." it leads me to believe it's an old article. PAUS has been around since 1984. Why don't you ask your golfing partner that question? After such promising research, what happened?

Published Fall of 1999.

As far as I know, which is limited, there are very few Pied's in Alabama. I'd like to know where the Pied's came from for the research, or at least if they were AI calves.

Funny how a lot of research goes un-noticed by cattlemen.

It's like we have "Blinders" over our eyes sometimes.

MikeC":16u3s503 said:
Published Fall of 1999.

As far as I know, which is limited, there are very few Pied's in Alabama. I'd like to know where the Pied's came from for the research, or at least if they were AI calves.

Funny how a lot of research goes un-noticed by cattlemen.

It's like we have "Blinders" over our eyes sometimes.

I see articles like this one from time to time, about various breeds that seem so promising and then they just don't take off. It always makes me wonder what happened. Promotion costs? Hard headed ranchers? Other problems in the breed? If you get a chance, ask your golfing buddy. I guess I'll never find out about the Senepols, but maybe he'll have an answer for the Piedmontese.

guest25":1u74nfms said:
here is another report aged and limited but it shows facts one wont catch the babblers chimeing in and addressing stuff like this with how it will compliment the beef industry. they would rather and are more comfortable with heckling those that chosse to not be intimidated by them.

so here is how i sum it up there are some real ranchers farmers and seedstock producers that are on the boards. those are the ones that address issues and not people i would dare say the rest are noveltie farmers with 15 to 25 head and a bunch of kids trying to be something they are not.

now pertaining to the hecklers let someone throw some heckling back and boy its on your a marked man or woman. because its more popular to be in the in crowd and try and degrade an individual really makes them feal like somebody to be able to address the individual rather than issues. one can heckle the individual to the end of the day

but let someone degrade the chossen breed with facts or their fealings they have crossed the line.

its plum pitifull that people that profess to be producers will google and uh and ah over all the pictures or the epd crap that is about as trust worthy as the common man in the world today.

they can set back and criticize the animals that are posted in pictures from daylight till dark. thats politically correct or ok as long as you dont confront the click .

again let someone mention facts or their fealings about a breed and they have crossed the line. one can use cabs own data or market data about to much fat not enough muscle small ribeyes or how other breeds can compliment and contribute to the short comings of the beef industry they get told to shut up locked out thats ok .

its ok to comment 50 times in one day about epds or pictures or semen on certain breeds in the little play ground here of the chossen few the butt kissers so to speak. but mention some breed they dont like and its on quit posting havent you mentioned that breed enough go to bed get your teddy from the babbling idiots

one is ok here if they kiss butt and uh and ah with the masters of the board.

not one picture ever posted and oohed and aahed over or criticized is going to put desireable meat on the consumers plate.

the constructive criticizim of whats wrong with a breed or the industry when heeded is what its going to take to remove the excess fat small ribeyes and add more muscle mass .

if one addresses the national id system for source verification people rant and rave over that

mention a disease that has possible ramifications to the consumer and for sure ramifications to ones fellow producers the boards dont want that nor to be told that testing is morally correct.

heres the norm of the boards dont stand for any thing that will be right for the beef industry. stand in line to kiss the butts of the few and your an ok dude. its pretty pathetic to say the least

We all know what opinions are like. If you don;t like the people on the boards, why bother visiting? Just a simple question

dun

guest25":31qgb1ex said:
so here is how i sum it up there are some real ranchers farmers and seedstock producers that are on the boards. those are the ones that address issues and not people i would dare say the rest are noveltie farmers with 15 to 25 head and a bunch of kids trying to be something they are not.

Where you got me big boy?

Why won't you answer the questions I asked?

Latest posts