Tenderizing Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
For those of you that forget to tell your processor to tenderize your round steak or you have Brahma (just kidding, calm down) try using baking soda on it. It works.

I admire baking soda's marketing campaign.
A little box last forever. How can we sell more baking soda to get more reorders?

First it was let's tell people to use it to brush their teeth. Then it was put an open box in the refrigerator to eliminate food odors. Finally a guy calls out from the back of the room, 'let's just tell them to pour it down the drain' and everyone laughs.
But the next thing you know.... they're telling people to pour it down the drain in your kitchen sink as a deodorize, as if drains don't have traps to block odors. :)

Last edited:
I admire baking soda's marketing campaign.
A little box last forever. How can we sell more baking soda to get more reorders?

First it was let's tell people to use it to brush their teeth. Then it was put an open box in the fridge to deodorize the refrigerator. Finally a guy calls out from the back of the room, 'let's just tell them to pour it down the drain' and everyone laughs.
But the next thing you know.... they're telling people to pour it down the drain in your kitchen sink as a deodorizer. :)
You are more a cynic than I am.

It works. I tried it. I am doing my second batch right this minute.

Obviously you have not tried it.

It probably works very well for tenderizing.
I was just joking about how they promote using more of it.
I think the pour it down the drain and buy another box is genius marketing.

I think plumber-greg will back me up, that a properly installed kitchen drain doesn't stink. Masking an odor doesn't fix the problem. Just like turning the radio up really doesn't help when your car starts to make odd noises. :)

Last edited:
If you need to tenderize meat it should have been ground....
Possibly. I had never had beef processed before. I did not know. I am going to have it ran through the tenderizer at the processor next time for cube steaks. I will use that for chicken fried steaks and minute steaks as my grandmother called them

they sell hand cranked tenderizers for about $50 at different farm supply places. Otherwise, a jaccard isn't too bad. It beats a chippin hammer hands down.

Round steak, cubed steak, minute steak - whatever you want to call it - gets ground up. My parents made us eat that crap growing up. No more...
That's sure a different experience than I have. I was always happy to see that round steak an gravy on the supper table, one of my favorites. My wife does a good job with it too.

Possibly. I had never had beef processed before. I did not know. I am going to have it ran through the tenderizer at the processor next time for cube steaks. I will use that for chicken fried steaks and minute steaks as my grandmother called them
Instapot on a pressure setting can make meat tender. Cook swiss steaks etc.

The quality of beef sold in supermarkets require a bite like a wolverine.

Instapot on a pressure setting can make meat tender. Cook swiss steaks etc.

The quality of beef sold in supermarkets require a bite like a wolverine.
We used it on a round steak. Turns it into a thin pot roast. I like to have some chew to it. The baking soda thing works great. I just made a batch of green chili with it. Good stuff.

or you could just switch to raising Piedmontese and know that EVERY piece of beef will be tender because it is the muscle structure that provides the tenderness, not the marbling...

It's not the marbling that affects a 'cube' steak's tenderness..
It's the white streaks of connective tissue that many consumers mistake for marbling.
No amount of tenderizing is going to make sinuous connective tissue palatable.
I had to educate my own son about that a few years back when we were getting enough tenderized steak for about 15 of our family.

Uncooked cube steak should be all red, no white streaks in it.
I absolutely love a chicken fried steak but hate when someone cooks them too long. May be a CFS but they are still a steak and I want mine med rare at the most.

There is a youtube guy called Guga Foods that has experimented with tenderizing all kinds of steak every conceivable way under the sun.

Latest posts