Ten X vs Discovery

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience with Ten X and Discovery.
Ten X has a lot of sons with AI companies but I have only seen a couple of Discovery sons.
I know Discovery is a little higher for milk with a $EN number that is much worse.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have had bulls and cows from both. What would you like to know about them?

Son of Butch":29yh3djf said:
Which do you like better?
How do they differ?
Ten X sell better. He may have a little more mass/depth also. Ten x is more docile Discovery is a # bull imo. Fraile lacks depth and power/mass but he can throw some bone But he isn't consistent. Discovery seems to miss more then he hits in breedings. Also both is known to throw toe curl. Everyone likes differents cattle. what I do not like you may vise versa.

I have a friend who has used Ten X for several years and likes the calves. He doesn't say much, if anything, bad about them -- bulls or heifers. I personally haven't used Ten X because of concerns about feet/hoof quality issues that I have repeatedly read or heard about, but an awful lot of people have used him over the years, so he must be doing something right. Have no experience with Discovery, though I will be "sampling" one of his sons, MGR Treasure, again this year on a couple of heifers. The few reports I have heard about Treasure have so far been very positive.

There is just SOOOOO much 10x in the angus breed. We have two of his sons used as cover bulls so we have retained some of their heifers. I honestly am concerned about fertility in that line. That being said, we have used his sons. They are long and thick.

We are trying to go away from his lineage. There is SO much of it out there...we'll get some by default again some day.

Hogtiming,
Thanks for the info.
I've had Ten X semen for a while. One of the things I liked about him was that if you look
at his catalog photo he looked like they just pulled him out of the pasture.
It wasn't like graduation or wedding photos like most bulls.
I think he earned his wings because no one was looking for an In Focus son to be a number one sire.

Butch,
Thanks for asking the Q's for me.

Hornedfrog,
Anytime a bull is #1 there will be a lot of offspring but unless you have just an amazing individual animal I don't think it's likely that you will keep breeding the same cow to the same AI bull. I have bred Greyhounds and horses.
People keep breeding to sons of top sires until it doesn't work. Then new lines rise up out of nowhere.
If you have ever seen the video on KCF Fortress it's what I am talking about. KCF sold Fortress and then after they saw the quality of his calves bought him back. He wasnt' a slam dunk from the start obviously. Another example is Bub's Southern Charm. His mother sold for $6,600. I don't think you would be able to buy a share of Southern Charm for $6,600.
I'm sure many expressed your same feelings when some of the "Dirty" bulls with genetic defects were identified.
There are a lot of different breed lines in Angus...some are devoted to SAV, Connealy or GAR, etc.
There are others who go for Duff and OCC. I have heard the same concerns in Greyhounds and horses but it generally works out.

thats why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream everyone doesnt like the same thing. I find Discovery to be better than his pappy. My Discoverys are just what i like my caltle to be, more natural thickness and rib shape than Ten X. I would be hard pressed to pick between him and Double XL. I used alot of all 3, dont have any Ten x left they sold well, but my Discoverys and Double XLs will stay here awhile.

Hogtiming, BSE,
Have you noticed a difference in how well the daughters milk?
It looks like Discovery is a little smoother and that his daughters are more feminine...but that is from looking at catalogs.
I am interested in keeping the heifers.

Air Gator
I don't have any past a first calving heifer, they are doing well, nice udders milking and raising a good calf. Ive seen some 4 yr olds that seem to be doing a bang up job. Longevity, time will tell. I think you are spot on about the daughters being smoother and more feminine. Mine will be the highest ratioing this yr for sure but they are out of pretty good cows.

I have a lot of both. Those discovery females are super slick though. I keep all of my discovery females.

Discovery bulls don't sell that well though.

Latest posts