Temps for grass growth

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but what do the temps need to be day and night for the grass to come out of dormancy and start growing? We have had some nice temps this weekend, and expecting high 50's days and high 30's, low 40's nights here with several chances of rain (praise God!). Just wondering. We usually do not green up around here till the second week of March, but it just seems a bit warm to me compared to normal.

It's the night that it drops into the 30s that slow the grass down. It will (may) start to green up a little by early march but doesn;t really kick in till mid to late march. The weird weather we're having now is similar to last years in which there never was a spring flush just slow steady growth till the rains shut off.

The Bahia and Bermuda out some growth on here until last week. We were in the 60's at night, but them that front came thru and we had frost 2 days. I was hoping it wouldn't set the grass back but it did

Fire Sweep Ranch":2w2x0j2o said:
I think I know the answer, but what do the temps need to be day and night for the grass to come out of dormancy and start growing? We have had some nice temps this weekend, and expecting high 50's days and high 30's, low 40's nights here with several chances of rain (praise God!). Just wondering. We usually do not green up around here till the second week of March, but it just seems a bit warm to me compared to normal.

I do not believe it is just a function of temp. Length of day has a lot do with it. Temp, length of day, and rain seem to combine up here to get things woke up. No matter how cold or warm a spring up here is, you may get an extra week of two but that is it. Nature has it's course and it follows it.

I saw the same thing. I put out hay this weekend and saw the calves start to eat that morning and I came back to that pasture around 1 that afternoon and couldn't find any of them they had left the lot and were out eating grass. What very little of it there was.

Not sure about other grasses but Bahia is daylight sensitive. It may green up but won't do a lot of growing until the daylight hours get longer.

Latest posts