(Temporary) Twisted Neck

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We have been buying a lot of light calves lately. Got a "cheap" one last week that came down with a wet cough right away. He stayed on feed and the meds have cleared up the cough - - but he now has a twisted neck. Is that usually a temporary effect from a virus or something else???

What do you mean by twisted neck? Is his head a little askew?

Alice

if its just kind of droopy it is probably just under the weather still and should come out of it. you know how you get a stiff neck sometimes when you get sick, lymph nodes sore, etc.

if it is sure enough twisted (like turned back and stiff) it may be something more serious like encephalitis or meningitis. could be listeric meningitis or i think IBR infections can lead to eneph. or mening. as well but i'm not really sure. if its that you need to treat it ASAP.

Just in case................
if its just his head that is tilted- could be an ear infection.
Everything that I know of that includes a twisted neck also comes with the calf being down and out.
Unless its a pinched nerve- that i have only seen in a horse once.It got over it on its own.

OK, it might be his inner ears bothering him...or he may have been a little crooked headed when you got him and you didn't notice it until now...or, what beefy said.

We've had several crooked headed calves. They have their heads cocked like when you look at someone and say, "You said what?" Didn't hurt anything...just looked odd.

If your sure the animal didn't have a crooked head when you got it, then I'd at least be concerned about something bothering his inner ear.

Alice

milkmaid":hdlswo7e said:
Which meds did you give him?

Oxycycline as part of receiving.
Micotil sub que on day 4 when he come down with the wet cough.
Nuflor sub que on day 7 when he did not seem much better.

He was one of the bad ones you can hear breathing when you walk through the door.

Alice":1tmhbqze said:
We've had several crooked headed calves. They have their heads cocked like when you look at someone and say, "You said what?" Didn't hurt anything...just looked odd.

Alice

I have one of these also. The crooked headed calves sell at a big discount here so we plan toeat this one.

Stocker Steve":k8eh6dzq said:
milkmaid":k8eh6dzq said:

He was one of the bad ones you can hear breathing when you walk through the door.

Chronic lunger?

Alice

Stocker Steve":20g6p2w4 said:
Alice":20g6p2w4 said:

Alice

I have one of these also. The crooked headed calves sell at a big discount here so we plan toeat this one.

Just as well...altho, on second thought...the man that bought our calves for the feedlots didn't mind them (crooked headed calves) one bit. Were you planning on running them back thru the auction, or sending them to a feedlot?

Alice

Alice":2r4mkms0 said:
Stocker Steve":2r4mkms0 said:
milkmaid":2r4mkms0 said:

Chronic lunger?

Alice

Maybe. Problem now is he is my daughter' pet.

Stocker Steve":1s60kdo2 said:
Alice":1s60kdo2 said:
Stocker Steve":1s60kdo2 said:
milkmaid":1s60kdo2 said:

Chronic lunger?

Alice

Maybe. Problem now is he is my daughter' pet.

Yes, that can be a problem...and one you must approach cautiously...I well understand. There are worse things, Steve.

Alice

Sometimes, if you're not careful when giving the meds, some can cause temporary nerve damage. My vet says he sees it mostly with oxytet given too close to the nerve that runs just in front of the shoulder -- results in difficulty using the front leg for about 3 weeks.

I'd give it some time before you give up on this one.

Had a yearling heifer that shows exactly the same symptoms last year after eating poisonous plants. Neck was in the typical milk fever position for days. Gave Calcitad intravenously and her rumen was also paralyzed. Treated with 1 sachet Rumix diluted in 1 litre water twice a day with a vinegar and brewer's yeast solution inbetween. She stayed down for 8 days before everything was working again.

Latest posts