Temporary fencing corn stalks

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
i plan on letting cows graze corn stalks this fall and was wondering how yall would go about fencing it temporarily? im gonna have some calves out there with the cows too

We do 300 acres with a single strand of 17 ga galv wire, tee posts driven on every corner, those small rebar rods for line posts every 25 paces. Cows already trained to a fence. Deer is biggest challenge for first couple weeks til they learn the fence is there. Me and the FIL can have it up in a day, and torn down in a day. Reuse same stuff every year.

bball":1rk8ghzs said:
We do 300 acres with a single strand of 17 ga galv wire, tee posts driven on every corner, those small rebar rods for line posts every 25 paces. Cows already trained to a fence. Deer is biggest challenge for first couple weeks til they
learn the fence is there. Me and the FIL can have it up in a day, and torn down in a day.
Reuse same stuff every year.
:nod:

alright ive probly got enough 14 gauge wire i saved from a guys fence he gave me, how high do yall put the wire? is 1 wire enough? ive got a charger that will send a dog running to the next county :)

MtnCows93":2ecjfwbe said:
alright ive probly got enough 14 gauge wire i saved from a guys fence he gave me, how high do yall put the wire? is 1 wire enough? ive got a charger that will send a dog running to the next county :)
You need to find out how hot it really is. A dog doesn;t take much, a cow calls for a minimum 4500 volts, more is a lot better. I prefer over 6500 volts

One strand is plenty for cows. Set at waist level high. Calfs are weaned off cows when we put cows on stalks. Even if you leave them on, they won't stray far from mom and milk. If you're by a roadway, may want to consider more strands. Dun is correct about the heat on the charger. You will have to space your line posts closer if using 14 ga..just heavier wire. 17ga works real nice for this application. This is all presuming your cows are already trained to a hot wire fence.. if not, train them first or you will end up chasing down cows when they get out.

yea my charger stays at 10,000 to 12,000 i guess ill put 2 wires and its only 20 acres so it wont take a whole lot of wire. is it fine for calves to be out on stalks? my youngest ones were born in june so thell be about 4 months old by then and i wanna keep them on the cows till there about 6 months before i wean them

Latest posts