Temp electric fence I need advice just arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
I'm waiting on my hitensile wire to arrive so I can use it for my perimeter fence. My guys revived post and all the goodies that arrived to make a temp fence. Since I'm not there I told them give it a shot see if it works. The pasture they went into is 800ftX3000ft they reduced it to 800FtX100Ft, please keep in mind this is the first time the cattle have ever felt an electric shock or seen a wire like this so it's new for them. So the cattle trot into the paddock and they keep walking to the other end, some stop to feed and the others keep going. You can see one of the cows approach the wire and take off in the opposite direction away from the wire, the problem was one of the cows decided to touch the wire and instead of running away from it she charged it and took off, knocked the wire and post, unfortunately the entire herd took off after her. How do we train them to respect the wire??? I'm using a solar s400 from Gallagher 4 joule but I think it's 3 joules it reads 7500 volts on the voltmeter touching the turbo wire. I'm going to add a 15 joule system soon I doubt that would make a difference if they constantly jump it. I asked the guys to try again tomorrow and put 2 guys in front of the wire on horseback to deter them from wanting to jump the fence. Any thoughts??? Rinse and repeat? Eventually they will learn?

I'm attaching the link to the video you can see that the very first cows touches the wire and jumps back.

https://youtu.be/I6_leBTZByo

Thanks in advance. I know there's plenty of experience on this forum that can guide us to make this work.

You have to get them accustomed to the electric wire in an area that's already fenced where they can't run through it. Put the electric wire up against the perminate fence. They will check it out and learn it shocks them. Then proceed with a bigger area with just the hot wire

kenny thomas said:
You have to get them accustomed to the electric wire in an area that's already fenced where they can't run through it. Put the electric wire up against the perminate fence. They will check it out and learn it shocks them. Then proceed with a bigger area with just the hot wire
Thanks kenny that actually makes sense. Ill have them give it a shot tomorrow. I figured after a few tries they will eventually get used it. Keeping my fingers crossed

I have also seen people put the wire close to a water source,making sort of an alley if you will, as they go to water they will touch it and learn it is not pleasant.

By the way what do you call that type of grass down there? It sure looks thick.

I would try using a larger area at first where they can spread out more and individually check the fence out in a calmer manner. I have hung pop cans on a hot wire to give cattle a visual eliment to see the fence better and tempt them to check it with their noses.

Too many cattle in one spot. All that pushing and shoving makes a super hot fence not really a boundary. I would make the perimeter fence hot for about a week so they can learn from it.

Then divide it up.

What Kenny said! Lol

sstterry said:
I have also seen people put the wire close to a water source,making sort of an alley if you will, as they go to water they will touch it and learn it is not pleasant.

By the way what do you call that type of grass down there? It sure looks thick.
It's called Koronivia grass (Brachiaria humidicola) but everyone down there calls it humidicola.

MurraysMutts said:
Too many cattle in one spot. All that pushing and shoving makes a super hot fence not really a boundary. I would make the perimeter fence hot for about a week so they can learn from it.

Then divide it up.

What Kenny said! Lol
Makes sense thanks for the advice.

Allenw said:
I would try using a larger area at first where they can spread out more and individually check the fence out in a calmer manner. I have hung pop cans on a hot wire to give cattle a visual eliment to see the fence better and tempt them to check it with their noses.
That's a good idea my manager says that he thinks they can't see the wire to well. He says 7 cows touched it with their noses after that the one brave cow decided she had enough and charged at it.

I also introduced single strand electric by calling cattle into a pasture, so that they were already excited and on the move. They also have less chance of getting shocked if they move quickly through the fence.

Ill take my hottest energizer (Cyclops Super 12J) and put it on a short little stretch as a training aid in a larger field with solid perimeter fence. Keep it up for at least a week as all of the adventurous cows need to touch it. Some cows never get it though, you may have to get rid of them.

If you think cows are bad try pigs or goats.

https://youtu.be/tvGBaO1lPbQ

Looks like 2 strands are working a bit better. However now I got another problem hopefully short term. The cows horns when they feed under the wire are getting tangled. Smh! Can't win them all I guess.

kenny thomas said:
Within a few days they will learn how close they can graze. Stupid question but do they get shocked through the horns?
Kenny my guys are Telling me they stick theirs heads underneath the wire and the horns are touching the wire for a few seconds when they come up the wire is touching the back of their head or neck and when they get zapped they retreat, I guess they can't feel the current on the horns. Your learn something new everyday.

Since it has blood inside the horn I just wondered. I can see how their horns would catch on the wire. Bet within a few days you won't be able to get them to get close to the fence

From watching the second video, you are making progress. They went up and stopped so the fence did it's job. Some cows it only takes getting bit once to learn, some it takes a few more times. Most will learn after a few times so it really is just easier to get rid of any that don't.

The last three heifers I bought I made the assumption they knew what electric was, I was wrong. I watched them when I put them in and one started eating right up beside it parallel and got her whole side shocked. She learned that one time. Then I had one that like you ran forward through the fence instead of away. I fixed the fence and kept watching. Later on it was either that same one or the other of the three that ate right under the wire and got zapped on the back of the neck. She looked all around all confused and did it again! She learned after that.

kenny thomas said:
Since it has blood inside the horn I just wondered. I can see how their horns would catch on the wire. Bet within a few days you won't be able to get them to get close to the fence

I'm hoping for that as well. I'll let you know tomorrow if they stayed there entire night. Lol, I hope the first call I get tomorrow morning is "hey guess what... they stayed in their paddock!!" Or " hey guess what... they destroyed everything!!" Lol

Also I forgot to mention the unit I purchased is an S400 and didn't realized there are two settings one which gives you 7300-7500 volts and another one where it jumps up to 9500-10,000 volts. I told them to leave it on the high setting. Maybe they will think twice before touching it.

Chapin81 said:
kenny thomas said:

I'm hoping for that as well. I'll let you know tomorrow if they stayed there entire night. Lol, I hope the first call I get tomorrow morning is "hey guess what... they stayed in their paddock!!" Or " hey guess what... they destroyed everything!!" Lol

Also I forgot to mention the unit I purchased is an S400 and didn't realized there are two settings one which gives you 7300-7500 volts and another one where it jumps up to 9500-10,000 volts. I told them to leave it on the high setting. Maybe they will think twice before touching it.

$400 US or which

Remember the ground is the secret to the whole system. Not sure of your soil or it's moisture but 4-8' copper or galvanized rods 10' apart driven into the ground as deep as possible with the ground wire clamped tightly to all will give you the correct grounding.

kenny thomas said:
Remember the ground is the secret to the whole system. Not sure of your soil or it's moisture but 4-8' copper or galvanized rods 10' apart driven into the ground as deep as possible with the ground wire clamped tightly to all will give you the correct grounding.

We added 2 rods 6 ft deep 10ft apart. We used copper but was advised to used galvanized instead.

Latest posts