Tell me what you think

Help Support CattleToday:

fl-simmi

Reaction score
I'm new to the sport of showing cattle. This is a spring simmental calf. She was born in March of this year. Please tell me what you think, I need all opinions! (Sorry the pictures are so bad, Had to take them with my phone!)

securedownload-1.jpg

securedownload-2.jpg

fl-simmi":17e7sj42 said:
I'm new to the sport of showing cattle. This is a spring simmental calf. She was born in March of this year. Please tell me what you think, I need all opinions! (Sorry the pictures are so bad, Had to take them with my phone!)

securedownload-1.jpg

securedownload-2.jpg

Fair from what I can tell. Try getting down lower and work on your angles to get some better pics and post them up.

When you take conformation pictures, hold your camera or phone level with the heifers torso so that you are not looking down at her. You may have to kneel or squat down to do it. Take a side view, front view and rear view.

The angle of your pictures are not very flattering and can be deceptive (making a good calf look awful) because it distorts the calf.

Looking forward to seeing better pictures
happy.gif

Try kneeling at about her shoulder when you take the pictures. It's hard to tell much from the ones you've taken.

This might be too low but I had the camera level with her torso. She moved that leg right before I took the picture!
IMG_1116.jpg

chippie":3acdn1q0 said:
When you take conformation pictures, hold your camera or phone level with the heifers torso so that you are not looking down at her. You may have to kneel or squat down to do it. Take a side view, front view and rear view.

The angle of your pictures are not very flattering and can be deceptive (making a good calf look awful) because it distorts the calf.

Looking forward to seeing better pictures
happy.gif

Right which it does look awful. Try and get some better pics so we can give some "better" opinions.

fl-simmi":10ae2ov1 said:
This might be too low but I had the camera level with her torso. She moved that leg right before I took the picture!
IMG_1116.jpg

Again it could be the pictures. I think she may toe out just a tad, she needs more butt, and definitely more guts. The way she is right now she wont win anything. If you pour the show feed to her and get her clipped up nice she might look alot better but that still wont change the fact that she may toe out.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":10343aue said:
fl-simmi":10343aue said:
IMG_1116.jpg

Again it could be the pictures. I think she may toe out just a tad, she needs more butt, and definitely more guts. The way she is right now she wont win anything. If you pour the show feed to her and get her clipped up nice she might look alot better but that still wont change the fact that she may toe out.

She doesn't need more guts she's just pinched through her heart girth and it gives an illusion. A good hoof trimmer can fix a calf that toes out. She's level down her top and if that leg was back we could tell more about her rear third. She not a showstopper but she's not bad, I've seen worse.

Good on you for having a go. I'm not a fan of Black Simmentals. to me they look much to like Angus. I prefer the traditional colour. I can't understand people having black cattle ( apart from Brangus) in warmer parts of a country. Are you in Florida? What made you get into Black Simmentals?

Cowboy 2.0":1h8t5xfa said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":1h8t5xfa said:
fl-simmi":1h8t5xfa said:
IMG_1116.jpg

She doesn't need more guts she's just pinched through her heart girth and it gives an illusion. A good hoof trimmer can fix a calf that toes out. She's level down her top and if that leg was back we could tell more about her rear third. She not a showstopper but she's not bad, I've seen worse.

I do see the pinched heart girth your talking about now.

Your always gonna see better animals out there Id say your new to showing so try your best learn as much as you can and have fun with it. Get her on a good feeding program, groom her to get her coat looking sharp ( wash her, blow her hair out, start training the hair, repeat as needed) start bonding with her, work on geting her to lead easy and keep working on makin her a better looking animal by show time. Good Luck

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply guys. I just finished my 2nd show and have definitely caught the "Cow Fever". I love it. Here is a picture from the last show. She took Reserve Champion. And to answer your question Australian, Yes I am in Florida. I got into simmental's because good family friends have a large simmental farm so it was a good breed to start off with.
Keep in mind she is still young. Birthdate is March 4, 2009.

P1030165.jpg

EDIT: I just realized she isn't in a side profile. Arghh.

We were at the same show this weekend and I can honestly say that you guys seemed to be having a great time. Your son is doing a fantastic job with the heifer! Hope we see you guys at more shows this year. Lynsey

EONF":bgs69ucf said:
We were at the same show this weekend and I can honestly say that you guys seemed to be having a great time. Your son is doing a fantastic job with the heifer! Hope we see you guys at more shows this year. Lynsey

Hey thanks a lot. It was only our second show and we try to have as much fun as we can. Did you have the shorthorn that took overall reserve heifer? What are some other shows around North Florida or South Alabama/Georgia?

Latest posts