Tell me what you see

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
in this heifer. In need of an honest opinion on her please. Born 6-22-14. Out of a first time heifer. Pic was taken about 3-4 weeks ago.

A few years ago my buy had a whole pen of heifers that looked just like her. They were all long in the toes. He had fed them pretty heavily and kept them on soft ground in a pen for he whole winter.

BTW have you had her pregcheked.

sim.-ang.king":219pyq4r said:
She's broke down in the hocks.

Would you mind breaking that down for the uninitiated? And/or describing what you see with her hocks, in particular?

toro, what will she weigh?

talltimber":20dcqsj5 said:
sim.-ang.king":20dcqsj5 said:
She's broke down in the hocks.

Would you mind breaking that down for the uninitiated? And/or describing what you see with her hocks, in particular?

toro, what will she weigh?

You don't need to bust his huevos. We all know he meant her pasterns.

Dogs and Cows":3mm81ghl said:
KNERSIE":3mm81ghl said:
Pretty nice type, seriously lacks heel depth, unfortunately she won't last.

Knersie...can you explain what you mean? Heal depth? I truly have no idea what you guys are talking about?

Much appreciated!

Tim

Look at her back feet, in the one picture it looks almost as if the hair is touching the ground as oppose to having an adequate depth of heal. Look at how long her toes are as well.

Read this article to see graphic explanations.
http://www.angusjournal.com/ArticlePDF/ ... 010.11.pdf

She seems bold in her shoulder also. She does not smoothly blend from her shoulders to her neck.
I agree with her having no heal either, but she also seems to toe out on the rear feet, which will likely turn her hocks inward. Take a pic from the rear, or look at her from the rear, and I bet you will notice it.

I've got a pick from the rear i'll have to load it later when I have time. Not making excuses for her but she wasn't on smooth/even ground, especially on the second pic. She was fed good since weaning up until about 3-4 weeks before this pic when she joined the rest of the heard.

I have not gotten a weight on her yet

Latest posts