tell me if this is normal?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
We live right next to some dnr land, well this year we have had several people come down here, asking to park in our driveway to go and hunt in the DNR land. We say well, if you park on the other side, it would be better for you, cuz these woods here, are thick, and a person can get easily lost in them. Today about 4:00 this guy and his young son come down here, and the Dad had a map of the DNR land wanting to know where it was, etc..so we tell him its better from the other side, so he says, well I can just park here in the woods, and walk around, he was chewing tobacco, but he smelt like liquor, so we say go ahead. So we are watching him, and he and his kid are basically just walking in circles, not sure whats up with that. Isn't it kind of an odd hour to be doe hunting? I'm thinking he is really clueless or just plain drunk. Then he sees my calves and asks if I want to sell some of them, I just think hello, I don't even know you and why the heck would I want to sell my calves to you. I think some people are just nuts!

GMN

You should have told them about the big buck that was killed about 3 miles from your house. Nothing amazes me anymore.

Brute 23":57xvh2z9 said:
GMN":57xvh2z9 said:
Then he sees my calves and asks if I want to sell some of them, I just think hello, I don't even know you and why the heck would I want to sell my calves to you. I think some people are just nuts!
GMN

I was always under the impression, also, that cattle were raised to be sold. :???:

She has a dairy.

Brute 23":xwv1uojs said:
GMN":xwv1uojs said:
Then he sees my calves and asks if I want to sell some of them, I just think hello, I don't even know you and why the heck would I want to sell my calves to you. I think some people are just nuts!
GMN

I was always under the impression, also, that cattle were raised to be sold. :???:

You are kind of missing the point, just because I have baby calves doesn't mean I'm going to sell them to someone who just comes down my driveway.Fact is I don't like people just coming down my driveway, just because we live next to DNR land, doesn't give them the right to go snooping around. There is a parking lot further down on the other side of the DNR land where they should go and park, and hunt. I hardly think its appropriate to hunt in someones backyard.

GMN

If they smelled like booze, he may have been drunk.

I have a lot of people that have no respect for others property, they think they should be able to use it or hunt it if it is "there". I hunt myself and try to respect others places as much or more than my own.

Also, not to be paranoid, but they may have been casing your house for future theft. This is a common practice by thieves, especially in rural areas that they need an excuse for access to inspect, such as saying they are "hunting".

mark":2r5fvqu8 said:
If they smelled like booze, he may have been drunk.

I have a lot of people that have no respect for others property, they think they should be able to use it or hunt it if it is "there". I hunt myself and try to respect others places as much or more than my own.

Also, not to be paranoid, but they may have been casing your house for future theft. This is a common practice by thieves, especially in rural areas that they need an excuse for access to inspect, such as saying they are "hunting".

Maybe I am overly cautious, but a few years back we had the same scenario, but these guys, got caught hunting on our land by our friends, and we had to tell them no more parking here. They also took a squirell feeder and placed it underneathe the seat of a old pickup we had parked out there, in hopes that when someone sat down in the seat, it would stab them. Luckily, it did not, but we knew it was them, because the truck was parked in the same area where they parked.

I don't mind hunters, but when they don't respect our property and the rules, well then its time for them to leave. The county commissioner told me a few years ago, that if we wanted to we could put a gate up at the end of the driveway to prevent all this. Next year sounds like a good idea.

I think with the higher rate of theft, all landowners should be cautious of people cruising around. They could very well be on the lookout to rip you off.

Gail

I have found that discourteous hunters gained a good case of manners when they had a chance to look down the barrel of one of my own shooting irons. I keep guns handy and I am not afraid to pick em up.

Ner do wells soon learn to avoid me.

Yeah, a lot of people think I am the crazy one and that is fine with me too.

Latest posts