cross_7

Reaction score
Say a feller wanted to go in the cattle business in Missouri
Where would be a good area ?
Acres to a cow ?
And anything else I need to know

Thanks in advance

Oklahoma already running you off? :D

I can easily run a pair per 3-4 acres. A lot depends on the management of the ground though. You can still find larger parcels, hundreds of acres not thousands, under $2,000/acre. Lots of sale barns to choose from if that is your market. Fescue country too.

Guess I'm fiddle footed
Just looking at different options
I don't know a thing about that country, but I like the looks of it

Your probably opposed to crossing the Mississippi, but if you come that far, you might as well come all the way here. In all seriousness to answer your question, there is a big difference from one end of the state to the other. The texture of the soil, and the terrain changes pretty drastically.

I do have a reason to venture east, but I don't think I'd fit in
Ky, TN is an option, but I'm thinking I'd better stay a little further west.
Eastern Ks or MO is the top two. If things go as planned.

My problem is I know nothing about hay, fertilizer and whatever else I don't know about
Where I come from it's grass country and no hay or fertilizer and very little farming.

cross_7":1irl59et said:

My problem is I know nothing about hay, fertilizer and whatever else I don't know about
Where I come from it's grass country and no hay or fertilizer and very little farming.
It would provide you an opportunity to expand your knowledge base. The Ozarks is were the flat lands and the steep crap kind of butt up against the plateau.

What Bigfoot said is true. I would say the S.E. part of the state is the toughest. Lots of rock and timber. But still cows down there.
Most say one A.U. for 3 acres. Maybe a little better if you rotate your pastures. Yes a ton of fescue. Good water is pretty easy to get.
Sale barns all through the state. Generally good roads.
Rental pasture is VERY hard to find right now.

Western is more like East Kansas more of a prairie type conditions with some farming
South and South Central is rugged but still run 3-4 acres pr AU if managed correctly
Central is more rolling with farm ground and cattle
Northern is more farm ground and cattle especially the closer you get to Iowa
Bootheel is farm land and some cattle
The best advice I can give is learn to think of fescue as your friend and not your enemy and just learn how to manage it and your cattle on it
I know of a few places from 350 to 1000 acres that might be for sale the larger would cost ya around $12-$1500 and the smaller would run around $2000 pr acre

dun":2hljm16t said:
cross_7":2hljm16t said:

It would provide you an opportunity to expand your knowledge base. The Ozarks is were the flat lands and the steep crap kind of butt up against the plateau.

I need some help in that area

Angus Cowman":g0y3wtj8 said:
Western is more like East Kansas more of a prairie type conditions with some farming
South and South Central is rugged but still run 3-4 acres pr AU if managed correctly
Central is more rolling with farm ground and cattle
Northern is more farm ground and cattle especially the closer you get to Iowa
Bootheel is farm land and some cattle
The best advice I can give is learn to think of fescue as your friend and not your enemy and just learn how to manage it and your cattle on it
I know of a few places from 350 to 1000 acres that might be for sale the larger would cost ya around $12-$1500 and the smaller would run around $2000 pr acre

I'm thinking the western part is probably what I'm looking for.
Selling out in western Ok and buying back there sure aint going be an even swap
When/if I get my place sold I may need your help when I get serious about a place

We run about 25 pairs on 45 acres, so we are small, but we MIG to get the most from our land. We learned to love fescue, and plant other species to help water it down, so to speak. I have been looking at land, wanting to expand, and I can tell you around us there is no $2000 per acre land to be found any longer. Most is $3 k or higher for just raw land. MO is gorgeous, and we are now number 2 in the country for cattle numbers. It is good cattle land.... and I would not live anywhere else.... just need more land!
We get usually two and sometimes three cuttings a year of hay with minimal N input. Cows graze on a normal year from March to December (early). If you do not overstock, you can stockpile fescue and never need hay, or so I am told! :)
Hope that helps a little!

north mo is grass & cattle country with little rock, lots of grain farmers also. rolling hills with good topsoil, sale barns all over

Southeast Missouri has a lot of cattle around, not like where you are I don't guess but several. Some small backgrounders, lots of small cow/calf, a few bigger type cow/calf in my area but not too many. I probably only know of four with over 400 momma cows.

I am at approximately half capacity now. 20 head on a 200+ acre farm that's probably 130ish in pasture. I obviously don't have to intensive graze now, but some guys around here do. This farm has no rocks, unlike an area to the nw of me that is mostly rocks and steep hills (Zalma area). My grandpa ran 35-40 here and never went off the farm for hay, so in an average year there is no problem with the place supporting that many head. So, 1:4 ac and making hay off of part of it, with plenty to spare. He was conservative, as am I, in that I would rather have fewer head yearly than have to scramble for high priced hay in a year that was below average in rain, or the rare army worm infestation.

I have had some tell me that it is not efficient to do that, that I could be (eventually) run 60 or more on it, but the ones telling me that seem to be the ones belly aching about having to buy hay, or worse, find it.

I figure my weather and yours is similar. Winters can get cold and bad with Jan and Feb normally being the worst. Spring's wet, Summer is hot and dry (normally), Fall is beautiful days, cool nights, perfect for calves and grass.

I figure my weather and yours is similar. Winters can get cold and bad with Jan and Feb normally being the worst. Spring's wet, Summer is hot and dry (normally), Fall is beautiful days, cool nights, perfect for calves and grass.
I've never been to Missouri, but I've been to S. Korea in the winter, and Minnesota in early winter and Chicago in the winter, and N. Carolina in the winter and Amarillo Tx in the winter, and..............Central to Western Oklahoma in the winter Jan,Feb and March. All the rest combined don't hold a candle to how cold Oklahoma felt. It was absolutely just miserable. :2cents:

Latest posts