tell me about lowline angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
So I ended up buying a bred low line heifer, price seemed right. So what can I expect as far as calving and mature size? She's bred to a low line bull. How is their docility?

A guy up the road has a few. I see his wife walking them with a leash clipped onto what looks like a dog collar so they must be pretty calm.
I thought they were just fat Rototillers the first time I saw them.

The lowline breed's brochure says they are all gentle (as most breeds claim). But I've had some crazies. All depends on what the breeder is selecting for and how they are treated. You have the heifer, how gentle is she?

There is also quite a variation in size - how big is the heifer and the bull she is bred to?

I have lowliness. They are docile but alert if that makes sense. I can scratch their backs out in the pasture but if I want to bring them in for shots they always know and head for the far corner. One heifer in particular was wary of any change and would get the whole herd moving.....I sold her....hope that's not the one your bought!
As far as size---cows average 600-800 # and bulls 1000-1200 #. Calf BW is 40-50# and not usually a problem but you always have to watch the heifers.

Heifer is just under 600lbs and bred 5-6 mos to a lowline bull. I have no information on the bull. They were almost paying people to take these heifers. She seems gentle enough. So could she be bred back to a low birth weight red Angus and not have any problems?

greybeard":vjv7p8n9 said:
Craig":vjv7p8n9 said:
:lol2: Well, I do have a garden that's gonna need tilling.

Dang auto-correct!! :(
That was supposed to be Rottweilers.
That's funny,,,, I read rottweilers.... Even went back and looked.

They are gaining in popularity , they are used as locker beef or a docile pets, they are suitable animals for children to halter break and show,carcases are claimed to have a higher dressing percentages than most beef breeds, and marbled meat, with an ability to finish on pasture, cattle feedesr would not want them , you need to develop your on market. good animal for small acreage.

We'll I'm hoping she gets up around 700-800lbs. I will probably keep her if that happens. Now I'm kinda thinking it should have brought a couple of them home. She's got some length and depth to her.

cowboy43":1fcg1uew said:
They are gaining in popularity , they are used as locker beef or a docile pets, they are suitable animals for children to halter break and show,carcases are claimed to have a higher dressing percentages than most beef breeds, and marbled meat, with an ability to finish on pasture, cattle feedesr would not want them , you need to develop your on market. good animal for small acreage.

This is what I learned about them when I was figuring out where I wanted to go ... if you're direct marketing beef to the consumer, LowLine is a pretty good option.

Latest posts