telephoning fish

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I used to always hear stories of people using an old style telephone to shock fish up to the surface. Has anyone ever done this ? How does it work?

It qork work the same as the electroshockers that are used for fish counting. Never used it for fish but used to use it to gather worms for bait

I did it once using an old hand gernerator that came out of an army surplus phone. It worked but didn't really give the results I was expecting and was a lot of work for questionable results. Best setup I ever saw was a small box that was set up with electronic gadgets that would take the power from the boat battery and tranfer it to the wires in the water. The box was hand built and the fella that built it knew a lot about electricity. It purely was a work of art. Game warden that confiscated it was equally impressed.

Jogeephus":1covszrg said:
I did it once using an old hand gernerator that came out of an army surplus phone. It worked but didn't really give the results I was expecting and was a lot of work for questionable results. Best setup I ever saw was a small box that was set up with electronic gadgets that would take the power from the boat battery and tranfer it to the wires in the water. The box was hand built and the fella that built it knew a lot about electricity. It purely was a work of art. Game warden that confiscated it was equally impressed.

I knew a feller that had one of those gadgets. He got caught on the Red River shocking up catfish.
Game warden took his john boat pick up and his gadget. Also fined him $2500 and he wasnt allowed a fishing liscence for the next five years.He said he just started fishing and only had 3 fish.

Cal

Calman":njotqtld said:
He said he just started fishing and only had 3 fish.

Cal

SOunds like the little girl next door that came up pregnant. Swore the only "did it" once! Of course the week before when the parents got suspicious she claimed they had never "done it".

The old Telephone, yes it works great....Don't ask me how i know. :lol2: :lol2:

I think if someone got caught shocking fish in Minnesota the state would bring back the death penalty. We are in trouble if we even hurt a fish. Walleyes for example, under 18 inches and 1 over 28 inches, the rest must be released unharmed as quickly as possible.

While squirell hunting close to GrandDads farm, as a 14 yo kid I found about 40 catfish in a hole about 20 foot square, about 18" deep in old lake bed where the dam had washed out. I went back to GrandDads and picked up some wire, an old hand cranked generator and a neighbor kid. We went back to the hole, dropped in a wire on each side of the hole and hooked up the generator. When we cranked the generator it would affect the catfish by making them swin fast and wiggle but nothing else. No matter how hard we tried to crank the handle on the generator, we could never get enough voltage to float the fish. We vowed to come back later in the day after we made a trip to the fireworks stand to pickup the real "M80s" and "Silver Salutes" that we all could buy 30 something years ago, but we never did.

The next week, 2 or 3 of us went back and caught most of the catfish using fishing ploes and worms. It was like shooting fish in a barrell, well almost.....

Telephones work ...........and so do the battery powered electric fence chargers.

Used to be big fun when I was more of a risk taker..........................................

Was really fun when the "Fish Finders" came out and we could target the big ones. 8)

Old telephone good heavy copper wire one on each side of boat peice of log chain between two wires to drag on the bottom one 12 volt heater motor to run the telephone, The more of the old condensers you add to telephone the better it works. Or so i have been told.. :)

Calman":37e3b3cz said:
Jogeephus":37e3b3cz said:

I knew a feller that had one of those gadgets. He got caught on the Red River shocking up catfish.
Game warden took his john boat pick up and his gadget. Also fined him $2500 and he wasnt allowed a fishing liscence for the next five years.He said he just started fishing and only had 3 fish.

Cal

I don't recall what they did to this fella but I'm pretty sure he didn't get a slap on the wrist. They frown on stuff like this pretty bad.

Red Bull Breeder":se9d1xag said:
Old telephone good heavy copper wire one on each side of boat peice of log chain between two wires to drag on the bottom one 12 volt heater motor to run the telephone, The more of the old condensers you add to telephone the better it works. Or so i have been told.. :)

Yeah, what he said. Telephone also doubles as a boat anchor if someone shows up!

If your that poor of a fisherman, stay off the water we have enough idiots out here as it is....Take it to the bank, if I see you doing shocking are even her about you doing it, gamewarden will be my first call.. It bad enough that your cheating, but on top off that, with the homemade shocking systems that your are talking about you will make the fish in that area sterile....Sorta cutin your nose off in spite off your face

With the cost of heavy copper wire, antique phones and the steel prices running the cost of log chains up, it is almost more economical to go on a Canadien fly-in fishing trip :lol: I'd say it's getting too expensive to take short cuts......just take a rod & reel with a big fat night crawler as bait. Still works pretty good.