Telephone Pole Corner Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Is there any prep that needs to be done to these prior to setting them in the ground to reduce the risk of rotting prematurely?

The telephone poles down here are all creosote treated. They'll probably last longer than either one of us. :)

all those poles are treated.id just digg the hole put emm in.an let the concrete setup.

If you're cutting them to post length and gusing any of the part that wasn;t already in the ground there isn;t much you can do. Just use them and they'll last for years.

old telephone pole's around here over the year's the cresote leaks down too about 1/4 of the post the heat around here pull the cresote out too .ive heard of folks wrapping the bottom with tar paper

My dad used to pour burn motor oil on the bottoms if they looked dry.

Don't know which jail they would put him in nowdays for that:mrgreen:

1982vett":2mr8ta9x said:

i knew a feller that actually poured the holes almost full of burnt oil then drop the post in
:roll: funny thing was he was the one that got another one convicted of dumpin' toxic chemicals on his farm.

1982vett":1g50a8p1 said:

Not a bad practice. If it is green-treated, I would put concrete inthe hole. If it is creosote, I would drop it deep, concrete optional.