Teff

Help Support CattleToday:

sizmic

Reaction score
Got my teff on the ground now time for a little rain.

Sizmic

It has worked well in the past, but its a pain to put out.

Sizmic

Tried a small amount in 2007 but we had a drought and did not get it established very well. I think it will work in a good year but I have had too much hay every year since so I had not tried it anymore.

It saved our cows in the 2007 drought. We were gonna sell them all until we heard about this stuff. 1/2" of rain the day I put it out and another 1/2" 2 mos. later was all it needed to make just enough.

Dam good hay too!

Sizmic

I tried Teff last year and got a good stand and it grew fast. I made the mistake of letting the herd grass the teff and it was so shallow rooted that with each bite the animals got the roots along with the tops and ate the entire plant. Mechanically harvesting would IMO have to be essential.

How did you plant it?

I was thinking of broadcasting because everyone with a drill is using it. I was going to put it in the winter rye field my cows are grazing. We are VERY wet so I thought the old girls could work it in the ground for me. I had a stand last year and was very impressed! We had a frost the first week of May so the ground did not come over 60 untill 2/3 weeks ago.

I drilled it, but, in my experience broadcasting is best. I definately would not let the cows work it in. The stuff will sprout in 2 days if there is moisture and the moon is going down soon. So I think I would mix it in some fertilizer and put it out quick. Just be sure and double spread. It is very fragile while sprouting. I have also found that a higher rate of seed is better (12-15#'s). Make sure the seed has been germ tested recently!

The stuff I drilled this year is doing fine but you can definately tell where it was planted to deep versus the seed that just fell on the ground.

Good luck,

Sizmic