Teff grass

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Anyone around me ever grow any teff grass? Been thinking of planting some and trying it. Sounds like pretty good stuff high yields and good nutrition. Thinking of planting some for hay and some to use for grazing.

Tried some small paddocks in 2007. It didnt do any good but with the drought that year nothing did. It looks good on paper but I think there are some warm season grasses that are cheaper and easier. I also like the looks of some of the new crabgrass varities.

I tried it last year and we got one good cutting of hay that was very good. I was told that it doesn't tolerate grazing well and that seemed to be true as I had a group of cows that decided that they needed to graze it after it had 2-3 inches of regrowth. :oops: They were only in there a couple of days before we got them out and then it got dry and that was it. Of note, I didn't get it in early enough, but I expected at least 2 cuttings and was hoping for a third. I have already purchased crabgrass for warm season grazing and sudan for warm season hay this year. I will probably try the Teff again later for square bale hay, but it will be in a very clean field as it did not compete well with my weeds either.

i bought some to try out 8-10 acres.. also bought some sudan grass dwarf to try on 5 acres.. we'll see how they do.

My brother in law grows a lot of it. So this is second hand. Don't put it out till the ground temps are up. High yield cut every 30 days. Don't store outside. It does make good horse hay, my wife is vet and several clients feed it.

Tried a field a few years ago, did well despite a dry year. Makes good hay but is not good for grazing, root system not strong enough and cattle will pull up the plant roots and all. Also, make sure you seed well after the last frost in your area, cannot tolerate a frost.

littletom":3cckre7x said:
My brother in law grows a lot of it. So this is second hand. Don't put it out till the ground temps are up. High yield cut every 30 days. Don't store outside. It does make good horse hay, my wife is vet and several clients feed it.

Any idea how he sows his? I read that the seed doesn't need to be very deep. If the ground was worked good could I just broadcast the seed and that's it. I usaly run a drag over the feild after I sow the seed to smooth everything out.

pricefarm":fbznupj0 said:
littletom":fbznupj0 said:

Any idea how he sows his? I read that the seed doesn't need to be very deep. If the ground was worked good could I just broadcast the seed and that's it. I usaly run a drag over the feild after I sow the seed to smooth everything out.

That is how we did it and we had a thick stand.

Well finaly got 3 acres planted this evening and now we are finaly getting some rain so we will see what happens. I will keep y'all posted on how it does. The seeds where extremely small I think I got it spreaded out good we will see.

Well the teff grass is up and doing pretty good no more rain than what we have got since I planted it. Got several weeds in it anyone know of it's ok to spray with 24d ? One guy told me u couldn't haven't talked to the co op yet about it.

pricefarm":1rkbbreb said:
Teff grass is doing good around a foot tall has a few weeds in it but not bad.

Looks good. Serendepetis you posted this. I'm going to look at a stand of it today, or tomorrow. It might be included in a little forage field day we're having here.

Well finnaly had good enough weather to mow and bale my teff grass it should have been mowed about two weeks ago a lot of it had already fell down. I mowed it Wednesday and baled it this evening. Had 2.5 acres and got right at 200 square bales. Not to bad would have gotten more if I would have mowed it sooner the disc mower wouldn't cut what had fell down