teeth

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I was feeding the cows and found two molers in the bunk, My olds cows are 4 year olds. What would cause teeth to fall out?

Calves have 12 temporary molars, which are replaced at about 4.5 years. I am sure this is what you have found.

angie":24x8lfex said:
Calves have 12 temporary molars, which are replaced at about 4.5 years. I am sure this is what you have found.

I always heard they are replaced at about 2yrs. I was at an auction once when the prettiest smooth mouth cow you've ever seen brought very little. The barn owner was alert and stopped the sale and then sold her as a two yr. old who'd dropped her temp teeth.

Cowdirt":qz86hwif said:
angie":qz86hwif said:

I always heard they are replaced at about 2yrs. I was at an auction once when the prettiest smooth mouth cow you've ever seen brought very little. The barn owner was alert and stopped the sale and then sold her as a two yr. old who'd dropped her temp teeth.
18 - 24 months is the norm. You can tell if they are the old teeth being replaced by looking at the bottom of the tooth. They will be sort of hollowed out on the bottom and very short jaggedy sort of root looking things hanging down.

So the information that all permanent teeth are in at 4.5 years is incorrect?
Just wanting to verify the accuracy of my resources.

dun":305irgu9 said:
Cowdirt":305irgu9 said:
angie":305irgu9 said:

18 - 24 months is the norm. You can tell if they are the old teeth being replaced by looking at the bottom of the tooth. They will be sort of hollowed out on the bottom and very short jaggedy sort of root looking things hanging down.

Good description because that it how they looked other than I think that my cows need a dentist. The teeth looked bad. :D

angie":35dr15vm said:
So the information that all permanent teeth are in at 4.5 years is incorrect?
Just wanting to verify the accuracy of my resources.

this may be off a month or so but a rule of thumb to go by is... at 2 they cut their first 2 perm teeth. at 3, 2 more, at 4, 2 more and at 5, the last 2. this is how you age them. after 5 years of age, it becomes a guess, based on wear.

so at 5, or 4.5, whenever they cut their last 2 teeth, all their permenant teeth are in. so your info is correct.

jt

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ft07adz said:
Didn't know that. I knew they cut teeth at 2 yrs old.
They get rid of their baby teeth at that age but keep adding teeth till 5

Latest posts