Teeth

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We just mouthed all our older cows, and any cows that we weren't sure on age. Out of 44 head that we mouthed, we have 14 with teeth that are in various stages of disrepair. When do you cull a cow on teeth? Some of them are obvious, they have no, or only a couple of good teeth. But what about the ones that are missing a couple, or those that still have them all, but they are worn pretty badly? None of the cows are extremely emaciated, and we are hoping to get them through the summer, or at least until their calves are old enough to wean. On the other hand, if we have to cull anything, due to the drought we know who will go first.

Sounds like they're still able to eat well enough to maintain body condition and probably breed back as well. Cull on an individual basis and go from there.

We put magnets down the throat of 60 some cows last weekend, so I got an up-close-and-personal view of some teeth and more than one face full of snot. I knew certain cows were getting up there in age but there were a few that surprised me. Three or four had nubs the size of a pencil eraser even with their jawbone, they'll be here til they start to lose condition. I don't sell based on age alone.

I don't cull a cow just because she reaches a certain age. I tend to monitor production very closely. As soon as a cow's production starts to drop, or the cow's body condition gets worse, that is when I cull. If there was a magic age, 12 would be it for me. I have had several go past that, but it just seems that production and efficiency go down after that age. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, however.

The thing is, that I am not too worried about their age. But, we live in Shortgrass country, and the cows need their teeth to keep going. As we have never worried too much about it before, I just would like some ideas on how many more years I might get out of them with partial mouths, or with worn teeth. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing. I looked on google, but didn't really find the info I was wanting.

The other thing is, that if we let them go too long, and they get too thin, we lose any sort of a market for them. If they are in reasonably good condition, we will see over 35 cents for them, if they get thin, the buyers may not even look at them. And we are getting sick of BSE'ing cows.

There are so many reasons to cull, or keep a cow. This is just a extra tool that we are trying to use to make decisions a little simpler.

Latest posts