Teen with toy gun almost shot by police

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Here is the story:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/21/41 ... olice.html

They were talking about this on the radio today and milking every drop of drama out of it. The police officer was a superhuman hero for spotting the orange tip, and the kid was soooooo lucky he immediately obeyed the command to drop the weapon, yada yada yada. Now I am as happy as the next person that it ended well, but I can't help but think that the hysterical housewife who placed the call originally was over-reacting just a tad bit. Some towns have open carry, so is it prudent to call 911 just because someone is carrying a gun? And were they wearing masks or was she so busy looking at the gun she didn't see they were 15 year old kids? Maybe I am just in touch with my inner cynic today....but my take is that this person who was hyper sensitive to guns almost got these kids killed.

I'm glad the lady wasn't around my "neighborhood" when I was a kid.....on any given afternoon or weekend you could find a half dozen kids out playing "cops and robbers" "cowboys and Indians" or "war". We all had 'pop-guns' and cap pistols, water pistols, toy machine guns and rifles.

Times have certainly changed. In a rural area I guess its not a big deal, but in urban areas I suppose any toy gun could be mistaken for the real thing.

Different areas, different ways of thinking.

Katherine

Sickening to think if that had gone bad with someone with a itchy finger. I'm glad that the officers assessed what they had first.

Well with the age that kids are joining gangs these days (15 and 16 is plenty old), and if the activity looked abnormal- jumping out of a van and running around the house as a teenager with a visible "gun", I will give the caller the benefit of the doubt that it was not over reaction and I'm very much a supporter of the 2nd amendment.

A 8 year old with a half eaten pop-tart, is a different story.

I have a problem with a toy gun that looks so similar to the real thing that it can be mistaken for it easily, my cap gun as a kid was pretty obviously a cap gun and my paint ball gun was obviously a paint ball gun. The orange tip is a good idea and may have made a difference in the end result.

Latest posts