Tedding Advice Wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Cut hay yesterday afternoon.Got tedder going and went over it this afternoon.Weather calls for thunderstorms on Thursday.

Should I go over it in the morning to fluff it after the dew starts to dry?Maybe twice?I've tedded hay for years but never have been sure what was right.

All hay is Orchardgrass/Fescue.No clover to speak of.

If the ground underneth is real wet, wouldn;t hurt to ted it again. If the ground is fairly dry and the hay is still fluffed up pretty well I would leave it unless it gets rained on. I usually check it around 9-10 by sweeping up a bundle and seeing if it's still damp underneath. If it is I will ted it if I'm in a hurry to get it dry and baled. Remeber the tedder really knocks the crap out of the hay and frequently the dry stuff will get all broken up and make for poor bales.

dun":249h5vmz said:
Remeber the tedder really knocks the crap out of the hay and frequently the dry stuff will get all broken up and make for poor bales.

I only ted when it's wet and try to do it right after cutting. On this comment I use the tedder to my advantage as a tool to not only scatter the crop and eliminate pockets of soggy grass, but also to break the stems of the small stem grasses (Rye) like a crimper would do for a sorghum sudan to increase exit holes to speed stem drying. Works for me.

mine was damp underneath yesterday i just let it lay until about 1 and it all dried up nice.

JW IN VA":1edj5lfm said:
Cut hay yesterday afternoon.Got tedder going and went over it this afternoon.Weather calls for thunderstorms on Thursday.

Should I go over it in the morning to fluff it after the dew starts to dry?Maybe twice?I've tedded hay for years but never have been sure what was right.

All hay is Orchardgrass/Fescue.No clover to speak of.

Cut hay yesterday morning... Tedded yesterday afternoon... Baled today

Latest posts