Tedders

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Unless you only have a 1/2 acre of hay field, don;t even bother with a 2 basket tedder. TUrns out a 4 basket is 3 times faster then a 2. Haven;t figured out exactly why but it has sure worked out that way.

1982vett":353qrqgs said:
Must be a curvature in the space time continuum. Or your having math difficulties again. :lol2:
As best that I can figure it out is that a 2 basket you can only do one windrow, a 4 basket you can do 3 windrows per pass.

I was at a sale last winter where they sold a really nice Kuhn 8 pod tedder for around 3000 bucks. I think I was getting something to eat at the time, never would have figured it going that cheap. Sure would have been nice.

That's like 2, 4, and 6 row cotton pickers. The math doesn't work out on the extra rows you are picking, it is just a lot faster every time you get bigger. A 2 row will pick 20 acres on a really really good day and that is rare. I averaged 52 acres a day with a 4 row. A 6 row will get 75 acres on a average to bad day and I have done 85 several days. The ground speed is a little faster every time they step up but not enough to make the math work.

cfpinz":oog54jcw said:
I was at a sale last winter where they sold a really nice Kuhn 8 pod tedder for around 3000 bucks. I think I was getting something to eat at the time, never would have figured it going that cheap. Sure would have been nice.
I would really like a kuhn 8 basket only problem is my wife would get done tedding too fast and then she would have more time to annoy me :lol2:
and on some of our uneven fields I don't think they would work to well

Angus Cowman":347n39j7 said:
cfpinz":347n39j7 said:
I would really like a kuhn 8 basket only problem is my wife would get done tedding too fast and then she would have more time to annoy me :lol2:

In most of our fields a 4 basket is about as big as you can actually manuever. That first pass around the edge is hard enough to do with a 4 basket without getting it hung in the fence/brush/pond/etc.

Angus Cowman":3tlakrp6 said:
cfpinz":3tlakrp6 said:

You can get your wife on a tractor????? How do you do that?? :lol:

lavacarancher":12h2gx1f said:
Angus Cowman":12h2gx1f said:
cfpinz":12h2gx1f said:

You can get your wife on a tractor????? How do you do that?? :lol:

I'm hoping to get my wife raking while I'm baling this year. Sure woiuld speed things up. They've moved the rain that wasn;t supposed to get here till late sunday up to friday afternoon.

Latest posts