tedder question

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
How many of you use a tedder?

Here in north Texas it is fairly humid. I am looking at getting my coastal drier quicker.
Since I don't own a crimper would a tedder help with drying arrowleaf clover hay?

I use one and it does help a lot. Be careful fluffing clover. We do it in morning while dew is on it to minimize leaf shatter.

use it alot just just as jogeephus has said it will tear the leaves off does a way better job than a rake and if it gets rained on after u ted it the hay isnt ruined as with a rake

On something like clover I would run in a higher ground speed gear with low PTO RPM's to keep from shattering it.

After all all you want to do is move it around a little so air and sun can get to it.

I couldn't get by without a tedder here. It saves at least a whole day in curing hay.

Do y'all use a tedder or a convertible tedder/ rake?

What brand do you have?

If I may ask, what do they cost?

Thanks

I bought mine for $300 from a guy who was retiring. I think Moses brought it over in the arc. All I can say is that it is orangish red. Doesn't have all the safety guards like the new ones but I don't plan on getting anywhere near the tines when they are moving. Works just like a new one but not as pretty.

THey're nice when you need one otherwise they just sit around and rust up if you don't have a place to store them. The rotary finger type seems to work good on grass but, beats the poor alfalfa to death

Buys at least one day if not more. Past few years around here they have been priceless. We ted right behind the mower.

I have found that tedding the alfalfa about 2 hours after it has been cut lets it spread better and does not shatter the leaves.
They are a great help if your hay gets rained on.

We have a Hesston tedder/rakecombo that works pretty slick, the lower river bottom fields usually have pretty heavy hay so we have to ted it but otherwise, all depends on the heat, if shes blazing 100 degrees then barely have time to rake it and bale it before it burns up :cboy:

Jogeephus":16uqofxa said:
I use one (tedder) and it does help a lot. Be careful fluffing clover. We do it in morning while dew is on it to minimize leaf shatter.

I have seen folks fluff up windrows using a rake to roll them, or else hitting them with an old conditioner after the swath has laid there for a day.

A tedder looks like the best way to fluff, but cann't you avoid the need for a tedder by just not putting the hay into a swath in the first place?

Stocker Steve":28w8llyt said:
Jogeephus":28w8llyt said:
I use one (tedder) and it does help a lot. Be careful fluffing clover. We do it in morning while dew is on it to minimize leaf shatter.

I have seen folks fluff up windrows using a rake to roll them, or else hitting them with an old conditioner after the swath has laid there for a day.

A tedder looks like the best way to fluff, but cann't you avoid the need for a tedder by just not putting the hay into a swath in the first place?

I don't put mine in a swath since I find the ground moisture tends to wick upwards wetting the bottom of the swath more than if I just spread it. Here, the ground moisture will keep hay from drying - at times - more than you would think. Fluffing it gives it more air circulation through the cut grass. Now, I use a mower conditioner first. Next morning when dew is off, I fluff and can sometimes bale that afternoon.

I use one. Early morning dew can be shook off a little getting to the drying process faster. Mostly I bale Bahia though.

Getting it off the gound makes scese of drying. We sometimes leave the stubble a little higher if the ground is damp.

Does a tedder like the NH #254 only fluff an existing window or will it also rake up the mowed grass?

Stocker Steve":if8yaduk said:
Jogeephus":if8yaduk said:

No. Even if hay is not in a swath, down here the high moisture levels in the grass and the atmosphere make it lay flat to the ground after cutting.

The tedder will pick it up from the ground so that air can circulate and dry it. Saves a day in drying time.

The quicker hay is baled after cutting, the better the hay.

Jogeephus":3qunhaji said:
I use one and it does help a lot. Be careful fluffing clover. We do it in morning while dew is on it to minimize leaf shatter.

I would hate to have to cut hay all day and then fluff it by moonlight! Ma would miss me:(

How long after swathing can you fluff it with minimal leaf shatter? The same day or the next morning?

Latest posts