tedder question

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a tedder an was wondering which one is the best. I know thats a loaded question. I only need about a 9 foot. How do the Pequea tedders compare to the Vermeer,Kuhn,etc. basket types? Also, I don't see many used tedders around, do folks hang on to them or do they just eventually fall apart? Thanks.

They can be found at auctions, their just aren't lot of them I think because it is a relatively new piece of equipment. At sales, you'll see rakes 30 years old but tedders haven't been around for 30 years so there's less of them.

I like the vermeer because the fold up instead of folding back so you don't have to get off of the tractor to go through narrow gates. However, a 9 foot proably won't fold so that won't matter to you.

High humidity or very wet hay or thick stemmed stuff when you don;t have a conditioner.

dun

preston39":2cqram3o said:
I have never needed to use a tedder...other than rained hay why are they used?.....Lumpy...thick hay?.....?

I think they're handy when you have a field that isn't of consistant volume of forage. For example, if you have a field with some bahia and dalisgrass - the dalis will be very thick while the bahia may be thin. You can run the tedder through the Dalisgrass and get it to dry in the same amount of time as the bahia not tedded. That way you can get the moisture content more uniform in your bale.

we use tedders , got 2 infact . I have New Hollands and they are the sorriest pieces of equipment I have ever owned . I WILL NOT ever own another New Holland tedder. They are not built heavy enough . I cannot keep them togather .One was a brand new and it broke the main shaft that runs throught the frame that drives the baskets . one of the baskets flipped upside while I was going throught the field . I plan to get a KUHN or Krone this year. I do have a NH round baler and I like it great . It has baled over 7000 rolls and never gave any trouble .

shorty":29u3qx36 said:
Tedding helps get the hay to dry faster and more evenly

I guess since we use a conditioner many of the reasons eluded to here are of no concern.

If one did not use a conditioner...different picture.

I failed to include that in my origional posts.

Latest posts