teddars and tall thick clover

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
if the clover,vetch,etc is tall and thick will a teddar work on it or does it get tangled in the tines?

dj":21pu07zo said:
if the clover,vetch,etc is tall and thick will a teddar work on it or does it get tangled in the tines?

I suppose it depends on the tedder.

Bottom line if the hay is thick you gotta' do something.

You might try using a lower gear and a higher rpm - but not so high as to throw off all of the leaves on the plant.

When you cut it - open up the back end of your mower / discbine / haybine or whatever you have. That will allow it to lay down over a wider area.

We are cutting some grass next Monday if the weather is right. It is over 5 feet tall - yeah we are late.

As I will be away the neighbour will cut it - and open the back end of the discbine to the fullest extent.

Let it dry for a day or so - then hit it with the tedder - it will not be so heavy that way.

In fact if I work it right - he will cut it, ted it, rake it, bale it, haul and stack it - and just about one day after he is done with almost my entire crop - I should be returning home! :D

That is my plan - but I suspect it will not turn out that way. Not for my lack of trying though.

Just what we do - works for us - your place may be different.

Bez?

msscamp":mkecpz1r said:
What is a 'tedder'? Thanks!

It is a piece of equipment that rotates - usually in a horizontal plane - but not always - and using spring steel or plastic fingers spreads the windrow out - allowing the hay to dry faster.

In your part of the world it is seldom used due to the lack of humidity.

In places where humidity is high, or the hay is very thick the windrow often takes a real long time to dry - if indeed it does at all. So a tedder makes it easier to dry hay.

Unfortunately it also means one additional pass over the field.

Once the hay is dry - or better - nearly dry to prevent leaf loss - it is raked and baled.

Bez?

Bez?":15k9hsav said:
msscamp":15k9hsav said:
What is a 'tedder'? Thanks!

It is a piece of equipment that rotates - usually in a horizontal plane - but not always - and using spring steel or plastic fingers spreads the windrow out - allowing the hay to dry faster.

In your part of the world it is seldom used due to the lack of humidity.

In places where humidity is high, or the hay is very thick the windrow often takes a real long time to dry - if indeed it does at all. So a tedder makes it easier to dry hay.

Unfortunately it also means one additional pass over the field.

Once the hay is dry - or better - nearly dry to prevent leaf loss - it is raked and baled.

Bez?

Kind of like a fluffer?

msscamp":1fzpn03j said:
Kind of like a fluffer?

That's what my wife calls the tedder.

gyrotedders.jpeg

rht5.jpg

Around here, if you have thick hay it will knock off a day's drying time. Haven't needed it much this year.

cfpinz

The only problem I had with a tedder is when a field is 50/50 dry and damp and then I knock the leaves off of half of the hay and the other half looks good. Maybe I will get it right one of these days. Saw a 21' rake/tedder in action today, guy told me that it takes at 125hp to run the darn thing, he was running around with a bucket full of gravel too, he said the thing will lift the front end off of the ground, I don't have the luxury of raking with some like that so I guess my rollabar will have to do.

Herefordcross":pm8dfx8k said:
The only problem I had with a tedder is when a field is 50/50 dry and damp and then I knock the leaves off of half of the hay and the other half looks good. Maybe I will get it right one of these days. Saw a 21' rake/tedder in action today, guy told me that it takes at 125hp to run the darn thing, he was running around with a bucket full of gravel too, he said the thing will lift the front end off of the ground, I don't have the luxury of raking with some like that so I guess my rollabar will have to do.

Was he teddin' the same weed he was smokin'?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's exactly what I thought! I assume you are talking about the hp the bucket full of gravel or the fact that there is no way that the tedder/rake pulls that hard? I really don't know I've never used one that big.

Latest posts