Teat shape and size

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Hello there,

A healthy, vigorous, little heifer arrived today. I just had one question, the cow has unusual teats: two are much thicker and larger than the others. The way they point is a little different, too. The rear ones are angled forward. I don't believe she has mastitis, but I will check for heat. The calf seems to favor the ones that are easier for her to get her mouth around, (though she does go after the big ones as well). If I understand correctly, this is a maternal trait that the cow can pass one to her offspring. Is that right? Is it likely that her heifer calves would be affected or would the bulls also carry the genes for their offspring? Last question is how bad would this trait be? We aren't talking show cattle here, so I want to know if the risk of mastitis is higher in unevenly shaped teats or if it is simply undesirable for looks?

Here's a few pictures.

Heifer calf arrived this morning before we returned from church, so her name is Easter, of course.

ZGEastercalf019.jpg

ZGEastercalf031.jpg

No worse than those teats are, I think the calf will work them down. Everything is heritable. The new heifer might have an udder like her mom; might not. Bulls do have in influence on udders/milk. While heat checking yesterday, I was noticing a cow across the road from us. All four teats are like coke bottles. They hang way down almost to her knees. But there's a nice calf following her around, so I guess he figured it out.

The thing about bad teats is that they usually get worse as the cow raises more calves. If this is a young cow, you might be able to keep her a few years and get more calves before her udder goes completely to pot.

Congratulations on Easter. She looks like she has things well under control. :)

Little Cow said:
Hello there,

A healthy, vigorous, little heifer arrived today. I just had one question, the cow has unusual teats: two are much thicker and larger than the others. The way they point is a little different, too. The rear ones are angled forward. I don't believe she has mastitis, but I will check for heat. The calf seems to favor the ones that are easier for her to get her mouth around, (though she does go after the big ones as well). If I understand correctly, this is a maternal trait that the cow can pass one to her offspring. Is that right? Is it likely that her heifer calves would be affected or would the bulls also carry the genes for their offspring? Last question is how bad would this trait be? We aren't talking show cattle here, so I want to know if the risk of mastitis is higher in unevenly shaped teats or if it is simply undesirable for looks?

Here's a few pictures.

Heifer calf arrived this morning before we returned from church, so her name is Easter, of course.

Little cow, I agree totally with Frankie. I don't think those teats will pose a problem this time. See what kind of calf she raises. If she does a good job; each year make your decision about keeping her. I don't think I would keep replacement heifers from her. Too likely that the trait will be passed on.

Thanks for the advice, guys! :D

So far, she's a great mama. The calf was delivered very easily and she mothered it very well, especially for a heifer. She was easy going about me handling her calf, too. We'll just take it one calf at a time.

Latest posts