Teat dip?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
So I have this medicated animal wash, the bottle says "each litre contains iodophor equivalent to 16g available iodine" now I am not sure whether that is each litre of the stuff before you dilute it, or each litre of the water-wash mixture (30ml to 10L dilution is what the directions say).

I was just wondering if I could use this stuff for a general purpose teat and navel dip? Seeing as it is iodine, but I dont know what sort of strength you use.

My dilemma is I only have a couple of milking goats and I can only buy 20L drums of teat dip ... nothing in a size suitable for one backyard cow ... or goat

Your thoughts?

thanks 4CT. So if I diluted this stuff to 1% it should be ok, right? Its mild on the skin so I dont think it would irritate the teats, plus its made not to be washed off.

I'm in Oz though so the suppliers arent that helpful to me ;-)

Yes 1% is ok and if you are worries go with 0.5%
yes I know you are in OZ ---I grew up in OZ---- NSW
since the I have been spreading my charm around the US LOL and I think some of these light-hearted ppl don't understand dry humor.
T

Keren, you could see your local vet &find out if you can buy some of their idione, when my QH almost cut his front leg off we were able to buy some idione from our vet. You should be able to dilute that right down to look almost like weak tea. To keep the teats soft & stop from drying out buy a bottle of glycerine & add some of that to the idione. When mixing up teat spray for the dairy the mix is 3:1(3ltrs water : 1ltr idione) when adding glycerine to the mix it is 2.5ltrs water, 500ml glycerine & 1 ltr idione.
What brand is the idione you have now?

Loch, its called 'Vetadine Medicated Animal Wash'. I got it for an old doe with bad dandruff. It says on the bottle 'An aid to the treatment of non-specific dermatoses (such as eczema) ringworm and queensland itch in horses'. I just got to thinking that since it is iodine, maybe I could use it for other applications as well. Thanks for the info about the glycerine, too. I might go to town tomorrow and get some stuff to make up a teat dip.

Yes that would be ok for a teat dip it's been a long time since I used Vetadine but I did use it to spray on the navels of the minature foals when they were born.
When making up a teat dip just remember to only make up enough to last 1 - 2 days at most & use cooled boiled water as hot water will kill the idione.
Good luck
Jane

Jane, what dilution would you make the vetadine for the teat dip, and for the navel dip/spray?

I have never naval dipped before but its a habit I want to develop, particularly as they are calving into the dust lately instead onto nice clean green grass :roll:

Keren":3vn9jds1 said:
Jane, what dilution would you make the vetadine for the teat dip, and for the navel dip/spray?

I have never naval dipped before but its a habit I want to develop, particularly as they are calving into the dust lately instead onto nice clean green grass :roll:

Anything less than 1% for teat dip is pretty much worthless. Same for navels.

Keren, I use the same ratio for navels as I do for teat spray only difference is I don't add the glycerine. A good way of applying the idione to navels is in a 250 - 500ml spray bottle just have to be careful though as the idione mixture can clog up the nozzel after a while. For Vetadine I would try the 3:1 mixure try 300mls water to 100mls vetadine & see what it looks like you want the mix to be a dark red colour spray some onto your hand it should look like a burgendy colour if it looks like weak tea add vetadine if needed. If in doubt take a sample into your vet & ask them if it looks like right.
You could try http://www.cowtime.com.au for information but I don't think that will help you too much there is also an aussie calf rearers site but can't remember the adresss right now
Jane

Ps after writing that & re-reading your first post
water-wash mixture (30ml to 10L dilution is what the directions say).
You would want to mix the vetadine 1.875mls (round up to 2ml) per 625mls water
OR
3.75lms Vetadine (round up to 4ml) per 1.25ltrs water
I think I need a cup of coffee :???:

Huge difference between "light-hearted dry humor" and being rude....
Maybe I'm not "light-hearted" enough can someone point out the humor? :? :roll: :? :roll:
Than again maybe I'm having a blonde moment, I have been up since 4am this morning
Jane

Loch Valley Fold":2exnvfm7 said:
Huge difference between "light-hearted dry humor" and being rude....
Maybe I'm not "light-hearted" enough can someone point out the humor? :? :roll: :? :roll:
Than again maybe I'm having a blonde moment, I have been up since 4am this morning
Jane

Dry humor is when Crowder is telling you how beautiful his wimmen's are and how proud of them he is and at the end of the post adds a wink or a "help" emoticon.

Thanks for all this Jane. I will hopefully have three does in milk in a couple weeks and previously I have never teat dipped or anything, but also I've never milked dairy goats before, (I've milked meat and fibre breeds lol because thats what I had available). So I sort of wanted to do things right with these girls, but when I went looking in our local ag supply shops, they only sell teat dip in 20L drums ... I had figured maybe I would just go down to the local dairy and ask if I could buy a small bottle of it, but then I saw that this Vetadine I had was iodine and I got to thinking ... lol

I know what you feel like this morning. I was up till 1am yarding and sorting goats :frowns: then got up at 6am to do a few more things with them, checking tags etc.

On the plus side, I sold them so thats :D

Congrats on selling the goats :clap: I milked this morning was started by 1/4 to 5, last cow out at 6 & walking out if the dairy by 6:30 I don't mind starting early but I sure hate finishing up in the dark & still have calves to feed. When we first moved into the new dairy we started milking at 2:30pm, thinking it would take us some time to milk 10:30 that night we finished didn't realise it was going to take t-h-a-t long.
Used to be able to buy idione in 5ltr bottles around here don't know if still available though
Jane

TexasBred":5t99au12 said:
Dry humor is when Crowder is telling you how beautiful his wimmen's are and how proud of them he is and at the end of the post adds a wink or a "help" emoticon.

Now that's just plain offensive. I personally think that Crowder has some of the best looking wimmens on the www web. Crowder has done Cattle Today and the entire world a favor by sharing his beautimus wimmins with us. I expect a public apology from you about insulting those fine wimmins.

I thought that everyone liked their cows and wimmins at about 1200 pounds.................... :nod:

:help:

Buyer is coming at lunchtime, he's taking the 7 older girls but I penned up the other sale does and wethers, just in case he sees them and wants a few more ;-) One can only hope.

These angoras are financing the in milk does :D Talked to the breeder before and we have changed the package slightly, instead of three milkers I am going to get two milkers and either a bred doeling or a baby kid. Probably not a bad idea since that is 5L less milk I need to find a home for!

Now that's just plain offensive. I personally think that Crowder has some of the best looking wimmens on the www web. Crowder has done Cattle Today and the entire world a favor by sharing his beautimus wimmins with us. I expect a public apology from you about insulting those fine wimmins.

Now look what I've done I hope Crowder knows he's getting some free publicity here ? ahh well as long as we're talking crowder we're not giving 4C any air time :roll: :D

Ok back on track (if we can) :lol2:
Keren how do you sell the excess milk? how big of a market is there for goats milk? There was a goat farm near me that had their own processing plant & they were selling it in shops locally, than I heard they were selling the milk in Sydney & Canberra, now I've been told there was more money in raising the baby kids & selling them for export (don't know if dead or alive) than there was in selling milk

Calf Rearing websites ( I just knew I need that extra cup of caffine :pretty: )
Professional Calf Rearer's Association http://www.calfrearers.asn.au/
Heifermax http://www.heifermax.com.au/

Its a little tricky to market goat milk because you basically have to create a market for yourself. At this stage I am going to use it for raising all the lambs that end up at my place lol and I've got a few family members and friends and between us we will use most of it. I'm also planning to use a little to make soap - will probably sell it on ebay along with my mohair. But at this point I am more interested in these does for breeding purposes rather than the milk from a commercial point of view. A few years down the track I would like to target the health food shops and see about selling it there. One of the big problems with goat milk is once you pasturise it, it takes like crap.

Latest posts