tear 'em apart

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
DBH LI DOMINETTE 466P ET {DLF,HYF,IEF} (42465943) http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 4&9=5F5F59 and her 5 and 1/2 month old bull calf sired by AF HL KING DOMINO 737 ET (P42870204) http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2&9=5F5E50.

0827102001a.jpg

0827102001.jpg

0827101959a.jpg

Thanks. That pasture is about 2 miles south of Southeast of Saline School or straight east of Assaria. The summer pastures down here are tremendous. I just haven't figured out the cheapest and best way to feed through the winters. I have been down in this location for 3 years now and the biggest obstacle I have left is getting the 2 year olds bred back. Getting them bred as yearlings is a breeze but as twos with a calf on them its a challenge. It has to be my winter feeding that is lacking. In Nebraska, I never fed grain to anything but calves, except the young bulls after breeding season. The corn stalks were my winter feeding program in Nebraska. Here I have been feeding brome hay and the cows can get along with that, but it must not be enough for the heifers.

Here I have been feeding brome hay and the cows can get along with that, but it must not be enough for the heifers
I would suggest that you get an analysis of your brome hay, and determine if that is sufficient for the requirements of heifers, and then balance the hay with what is necessary to supplement it. Make sure that you are feeding a balanced mineral - everyday!

High heat and endophyte-infected fescue don't affect pregnancy rates of adult beef cows, but a study shows that heifers that are heat-stressed and consume toxic fescue are less likely to produce calves. That may be a significant possibility of your difficulty in getting the second pregnancy to take. Another factor which may be a causitive element in your difficulty in re-breeding first-calf heifers is their body condition at the time of re-breeding. Here is a link that may be of some help to you.

http://wwwclemson.edu/edisto/beef-db/bc-2005.htm

DOC HARRIS

Doc, fescue near salina ks..... Come on.... feed Right Now mineral to your heifers.. Your in Kansas Now and the need for additional Copper is there...Copper in North to North Central Kansas is the key ..

Dusty":2v06yrbw said:
Doc, fescue near salina ks..... Come on.... feed Right Now mineral to your heifers.. Your in Kansas Now and the need for additional Copper is there...Copper in North to North Central Kansas is the key ..

Copper seems to be the Key everywhere these days. We are very deficient here also.

3waycross":isk52z9r said:
TexasBred":isk52z9r said:
3way...does the soil contain a lot of iron??

Yes

3way don't tell the dumb ass from Wichita but iron binds up copper and makes it unavailable for use by the cattle. Most areas with high iron content in the soil and water will always have copper deficiencies in the cattle. That's just for us that really want to know. ;-)

WichitaLineMan":539l2hgm said:
I think Chelates is the the term you dumb arses are looking for.

No we're talking about one mineral being antagonistic toward another. An excess of one disturbing the bioavailability of another. Chelates or "Amino Acid Complexes or Metal Amino Acid Complexes" are created by binding an individual amino acid to a single metal ion; for ruminants copper, manganese, zinc and cobalt are most often utilized. :tiphat:

TexasBred":22npf2rw said:
WichitaLineMan":22npf2rw said:
I think Chelates is the the term you dumb arses are looking for.

No we're talking about one mineral being antagonistic toward another. An excess of one disturbing the bioavailability of another. Chelates or "Amino Acid Complexes or Metal Amino Acid Complexes" are created by binding an individual amino acid to a single metal ion; for ruminants copper, manganese, zinc and cobalt are most often utilized. :tiphat:

Well I guess we told him :cowboy:

Dusty":2dxidsbv said:
-
Dusty-

You are right! Endophyte infested fescue does not usually find its way into the State of Kansas, unless the cattle originated on the Eastern border area near Missouri, or perhaps IN Missouri! Having spent many years growing up in Missouri, I am familiar with the problems that Endophyte-infected Fescue can cause. To be frank with you, I overlooked the fact that the post was from Salina. My fault. However, I think that there are many producers who ARE living in fescue country who just might benefit from that knowledge. The information about Minerals, and Copper deficiency in particular, should alert many calf producers to the importance of nutrition in their managment protocols.

I thank you for your unique way of reminding me of my failure to realize all of the facts of the post. I hate to overlook importrant features in a post, and I will attempt to avoid that mistake again.

DOC HARRIS