Teaching them right

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I met some new neighbors a few weeks ago. They're a young couple and had their little boy with them, I'd guess he's about 2. While we were talking across the fence the boy had a little stick and walked up and tapped his dad on the leg with it. They immediately corrected him and told him not to hit. I've seen a lot of parents who would think that was funny, but I admired them for correcting him, and told them so. As my wife says, "If it won't be cute when they're 16, stop it now".

Anyway, it was good to see that some people still believe in disciplining their children.

I was raised about like that boy. I have a cousin who's parents would have laughed at such a thing when he was little, he's now 16 and in trouble at school all the time and is not on a good track.

denvermartinfarms":2rbezeb1 said:
I was raised about like that boy. I have a cousin who's parents would have laughed at such a thing when he was little, he's now 16 and in trouble at school all the time and is not on a good track.

It sounds like your parents raised you right. I hope your cousin gets his act together.

I was never grounded when I was growing up. Got knocked to the floor a few times, but never grounded.

Bigfoot":2k57odms said:
I was never grounded when I was growing up. Got knocked to the floor a few times, but never grounded.
Same here. Didn't like it then but has become good memories now

Once, when I was really small, my mother left me at home for a few minutes by myself while she stepped over to the neighbors house. I waited, and watched for her to come back. I put a trash bag over my head, and laid in the floor playing dead. I didn't flinch one bit, when she yelled my name. If you remember the televised beating of Rodney King. That was gentle compared to what I got.

Bigfoot":1su6ec8u said:
Once, when I was really small, my mother left me at home for a few minutes by myself while she stepped over to the neighbors house. I waited, and watched for her to come back. I put a trash bag over my head, and laid in the floor playing dead. I didn't flinch one bit, when she yelled my name. If you remember the televised beating of Rodney King. That was gentle compared to what I got.
If I was her I'd beat you even now if I even thought of when that happened.

Bigfoot":tgjr2r10 said:

You didn't think that prank all the way through, did you? :lol2: I can say my reaction would be just as severe if one of mine did that to me or my wife.

Rafter S":12kqvm5a said:
I met some new neighbors a few weeks ago. They're a young couple and had their little boy with them, I'd guess he's about 2. While we were talking across the fence the boy had a little stick and walked up and tapped his dad on the leg with it. They immediately corrected him and told him not to hit. I've seen a lot of parents who would think that was funny, but I admired them for correcting him, and told them so. As my wife says, "If it won't be cute when they're 16, stop it now".

Anyway, it was good to see that some people still believe in disciplining their children.

Good story! Another thing I really hate to see is mommy and daddy baby talking the young ones. They need to be spoken to like a person you desire them to become. Its good to be a good role model. Even better to encourage a more mature role for the child. They tend to become what they imagine they are

Ouachita":3qozd6qg said:
Rafter S":3qozd6qg said:

Good story! Another thing I really hate to see is mommy and daddy baby talking the young ones. They need to be spoken to like a person you desire them to become. Its good to be a good role model. Even better to encourage a more mature role for the child. They tend to become what they imagine they are

That reminds me of another situation. When my son was very small, (he'll be 24 in a few weeks) my wife went to lunch with another lady who had a child about the same size as Will. When she got home she told me that Will had sat in his high chair minding his own business and eating his lunch while the other child acted up the whole time. And while they were eating the ladies got to talking about child-raising. The other lady, the one whose child wouldn't behave, said "My husband and I don't like to tell our child "No". We think he'll hear that enough when he gets older." My wife lost track of this lady soon after that, but I have often wondered how that philosophy worked out for them.

"No" was one of the first words my son learned, along with "Mama" and "cow". And he knew what it meant.

Rafter S":1qut2g3a said:
denvermartinfarms":1qut2g3a said:

It sounds like your parents raised you right. I hope your cousin gets his act together.
Well, I became pretty well behaved at a young age because if I slipped up in the slightest way I got my backside beat pretty good.

Later on when I was about 10 and my cousin was 5, his parents made him drink soap or vinegar when he was bad, then the laughed about that. Big difference in our up bringing's and I also hope he gets it together, at his age now he and his family are going to have to start taking things a little more serious.

Ouachita":30xn80kb said:

:nod: My kids are eight and nine. If you make one of them mad they'll cuss the same as I do but it isn't there unless it's provoked. People are set back by how adult they act. There is still kid there when it's time to play but the rest of the time they're pretty adult.
My sister, on the other hand, is a lib from the city that refuses to spank her kids and baby talks them at seven and nine years old. her seven year old will walk through the house yelling " F____! F____! F____!" and watch her panic just for kicks. He thinks it's funny. I don't get a say in it anymore as the last time he told her to F-off I yanked his shorts off and spanked him myself with her and hubby watching. :lol: Things are not so friendly now and I'm okay with that. :nod:

Well I am hoping the best for all kids. But boy do some of them need a good whipping and their parents to.
We're on vacation in FL. and it's crazy how some of these kids act in a restaurant.

cow pollinater":1jltt95z said:
Ouachita":1jltt95z said:

:nod: My kids are eight and nine. If you make one of them mad they'll cuss the same as I do but it isn't there unless it's provoked. People are set back by how adult they act. There is still kid there when it's time to play but the rest of the time they're pretty adult.
My sister, on the other hand, is a lib from the city that refuses to spank her kids and baby talks them at seven and nine years old. her seven year old will walk through the house yelling " F____! F____! F____!" and watch her panic just for kicks. He thinks it's funny. I don't get a say in it anymore as the last time he told her to F-off I yanked his shorts off and spanked him myself with her and hubby watching. :lol: Things are not so friendly now and I'm okay with that. :nod:
:clap: :clap: that's sad that some kids parents don't love them enough to correct them.

When our children were growing up, sometimes they would say something terrible. Criticizing a sibling or inappropriate language.
I would tell that that I could not control what they think, but I had better not hear it coming out of their mouths.
Once two of them got in an unnecessary argument at our fair. They were elementary school age. Both stood with their nose to a pole for about 5 minutes. Everything was peaceful after that.
To me a parent's goal is to raise a child to become a good citizen, to be a person that others want to have as a friend, and to be a pleasure to be around.

Latest posts