TDN Measurement

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't test all my hay and can judge it primarily by the age of cutting. My goal is to always cut feed quality hay within the 30 day window but this isn't always possible. I once starved cattle with horse quality hay and learned an expensive lesson.

I've been a big fan of T85 for years and was using it in spite of the claims of many hay growers that it was too stemmy and will kill horses and that it was bad for cattle. Once I changed to 100% T85 hay my calving rate jumped on a 45 day calving window from 72% to 102% and I found by increasing the total herd's average live weaning weight this had more affect on profits than did genetics. I still use T85 and still suffer the occasional snipe at it being poor unsuitable hay from those who feed other hay and prefer to supplement. One of my old mentors helped develop this grass and like he said, "its what splatters that matters" and using this tip I feed by watching the cow pies drawing from different cuttings depending on what I'll call - for want of a catchy scientific term - the splatterability index . :lol:

Texasmark":3pwbyeqg said:
Any do it yourselfers out there. I might decide to do my own measurements, protein testing too. What did you use and where did you get it? Reliability? Satisfaction?
Thanks,
Mark

I stumbled across this while looking for a machine online. Interesting reading, Tifton 85 vs Coastal was interesting also: http://extension.uga.edu/publications/d ... %20Quality
Good luck. Why would you want to do your own measurements when the National Research Council has already determined basic levels for dozens of nutrient restrictions for just about every imaginable feed ingredient, grass, hay and anything else you can imagine.

TexasBred":32uwci4f said:
Texasmark":32uwci4f said:
Any do it yourselfers out there. I might decide to do my own measurements, protein testing too. What did you use and where did you get it? Reliability? Satisfaction?
Thanks,
Mark

I stumbled across this while looking for a machine online. Interesting reading, Tifton 85 vs Coastal was interesting also: http://extension.uga.edu/publications/d ... %20Quality
Good luck. Why would you want to do your own measurements when the National Research Council has already determined basic levels for dozens of nutrient restrictions for just about every imaginable feed ingredient, grass, hay and anything else you can imagine.

Because their testing was conducted with samples having certain characteristics "of the species" as a result of all the variables that affected their test samples that more than likely aren't like what I would be offering due to my circumstances in the development and harvesting of what I had to offer for hay.

What triggered this was a conversation I had recently with a potential hay purchaser that raises goats and markets goat cheese....Mozzarella I think they call it. She is real picky (as it should be) as to what goes into her Does since it's for human consumption and may be under the Organic label.

Texasmark":y1au30c9 said:
TexasBred":y1au30c9 said:
Texasmark":y1au30c9 said:
Thanks,
Mark

Because their testing was conducted with samples having certain characteristics "of the species" as a result of all the variables that affected their test samples that more than likely aren't like what I would be offering due to my circumstances in the development and harvesting of what I had to offer for hay.

What triggered this was a conversation I had recently with a potential hay purchaser that raises goats and markets goat cheese....Mozzarella I think they call it. She is real picky (as it should be) as to what goes into her Does since it's for human consumption and may be under the Organic label.
As I said "Good luck". Hope she'll accept your test results.

Latest posts