Taxidermist Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
This year I wanted to save the hides off of several of my cattle for use. Could anyone tell me the contact information for a good reliable taxidermist? For those of you that tan hinds regularly..What are you usually charged?

Thank you for the help.

Shelby

I know of several sites that sell hides for $500-1500 and for that price tanning should not cost more than $200-400. I just have been unable to locate a taxidermist that will talk to me.

Shelby

PLR":1etb9lnv said:
This year I wanted to save the hides off of several of my cattle for use. Could anyone tell me the contact information for a good reliable taxidermist? For those of you that tan hinds regularly..What are you usually charged?

Thank you for the help.

Shelby

Shelby,

Cattle hides are hard to tan. They are very labor intensive and it is hard to keep the hair from falling out. Have a taxidermist contacted and arrangements made before the animal goes to slaughter. If that hide even sits a day, I won't do it. The folks at the slaughter house should know haw to take care of it, but get specific instructions for them from the taxidermist. They woun't clean it very good, but will try harder if they know if is going to be tanned.And I wouldn't suggest shipping the hide too far either. Sitting in a box is not good for it either. as for a price, I could easily get $600 or better in just supplieson an average size hide. That says nothing for the time involved. Hope this helped a little. Pm with further questions if you like. ~Missi

The slaughter houses must sell the hides. Who do they sell to and for @ how much? Leather is expensive and the demand must be high.

Oh they sell them alright! That's another deal we ran into.. the processor charges more for your processing if you want the hide back.

Our processor charges $25 if you want to keep the hide. I have priced hides and they ususally cost $500+ for a full hair on hide. I figured I could get one processed for less than that.

Just found a taxidermist that will process them for $200 or less per hide $350 or less for a highland hide. I think these prices are very reasonable.

Thanks for you help

Shelby

I was refered to this taxidermist by another taxidermist and I have actually seen some of their works before and they do a beautiful job. I just didn't know if they were still doing cow hides. but they are.

Thanks

Shelby

Latest posts