Taxes -

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
The Tax system

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100.

If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.

The fifth would pay $1.

The sixth would pay $3.

The seventh would pay $7.

The eighth would pay $12.

The ninth would pay $18.

The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said,

"I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.

"Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected.

They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers?

How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?'

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).

The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).

The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).

The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).

The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).

The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free.

But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man.

He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar,

too. It's unfair that he got TEN times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back

when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get

anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine

sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the

bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between

all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works.

The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction.

Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore

Yes, I need to find the name and address of the new Ford CEO who made $28 MILLION for four months of "work" and tell him how much I appreciate him. :mad: We certainly need more CEOs making billions of dollars a year while the worker on the line loses insurance for his family or hasn't had a raise in five years. Or the stock owners who have been seeing low/no returns on their investments. I wonder how much tax this guy will pay on that $28 million. Very little, I'd bet. :roll:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/05/news/co ... /index.htm

Frankie":jiio4iqf said:
Yes, I need to find the name and address of the new Ford CEO who made $28 MILLION for four months of "work" and tell him how much I appreciate him. :mad: We certainly need more CEOs making billions of dollars a year while the worker on the line loses insurance for his family or hasn't had a raise in five years. Or the stock owners who have been seeing low/no returns on their investments. I wonder how much tax this guy will pay on that $28 million. Very little, I'd bet. :roll:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/05/news/co ... /index.htm

Sounds kinda like sour grapes, pick up a picket sign and fight for your rights, crying won't get it done.
Or you could keep buying Nissan's and KIA's that helps them boys on the line a lot .

If you believe in this country then you believe that everyone has the opportunity to better themselves. However, some will always have more than others. That's just the way it is. Some rich people deserve to be rich, some don't. Some poor people deserve to be poor, some don't. Count your blessings and make the best of what life has dealt you. Sitting around filled with anger and resentment is no way to live.

Wealth can be measured in many ways, most often it is measured monetarily. I know some very wealthy people who I wouldn't trade my lifestyle and happiness for anything they got. Many are just plain miserable.

On the otherhand, I know some dirt poor folks who I really enjoy being around because the richness they possess is laughter, peace and just plain happiness. (Plus, they're always willing and able to go do something with ya!)

The whole time I was reading the original joke, I was waiting for you to say something like 'and thats why our tax system is so confusing!"

My wife and I are by no means wealthy, but we live very comfortable. I hear friends throw jabs at me about our vehicles or equipment or playthings and they imply that we're wealthy or something. I finally got fed up one day & went off on one of em. I told him, "well you know what, while you and our other buddies were out smoking pot and running the roads I was working. BUSTIN MY TAIL. And now look at where we both are. I live nice and you are still struggling." I earned every bit of mine. And if it is me who retires and receives $25 million dollars, wel you can pucker up buddy because I earned mine. Whine, complain and be jealous all you want.

Horticattleman":2seunino said:
My wife and I are by no means wealthy, but we live very comfortable. I hear friends throw jabs at me about our vehicles or equipment or playthings and they imply that we're wealthy or something. I finally got fed up one day & went off on one of em. I told him, "well you know what, while you and our other buddies were out smoking pot and running the roads I was working. BUSTIN MY TAIL. And now look at where we both are. I live nice and you are still struggling." I earned every bit of mine. And if it is me who retires and receives $25 million dollars, wel you can pucker up buddy because I earned mine. Whine, complain and be jealous all you want.

Amen, brother! We're not wealthy, but we enjoy our lives and we worked hard (and still working hard) to get here. Not saying some people don't get a raw deal (and I've had my share of those, too) but that "the world owes me something" attitude some people have drives me to the brink!

USMCRanchGirl":2c2j81dg said:
Horticattleman":2c2j81dg said:

Amen, brother! We're not wealthy, but we enjoy our lives and we worked hard (and still working hard) to get here. Not saying some people don't get a raw deal (and I've had my share of those, too) but that "the world owes me something" attitude some people have drives me to the brink!

I agree with both of you there, we are comfortable but not wealth, we have happiness and laughter in the house too, but what we have we have earned honestly and hard work got us where we are.
The Taxes here seem that way to the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. But life is what you make it, most of the time. stop whineing and get off of you butt and do something about it. 'he who dares wins' and all that.

Simply put.. Life is not fair.. never has.. never will be.
God is fair... all we need to know.
Work for yourself.. and you may or may not receive any help. Who cares.. just do it.. and keep your chin up.. enjoy living.. and smile because we are all gonna have our problems. Enjoy what the Lord has given us all.....

Latest posts