TATTOO question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I have reds & blacks (Simmental). I use green ink (roll-on) for our tattoo. If you tattoo, you know it is sooooo difficult to get a good, easy to read tattoo on the black ears. Have any of you used WHITE paste for tattoo??? I ordered a tube, but was hoping their might be some feedback on it.
Thanks, Jeanne

You probably know this, but if you put a flashlight BEHIND the ear, the tattoo shows up really well. We do that at Nationals on many cattle, since the tattoos are hard to read on some.
I have never heard of white tattoo ink, so I look forward to the feedback.

I have no experience with the white ink. I will say that putting a handful of baking soda on a fresh done tattoo helps it set and stay more clear. It also keeps us from having a whole herd of green goats! Let us know how the white ink works out.

Thanks for the tip on baking soda, never heard of that. We do a good job on tattoos, EASILY read on the RED cattle. Black, not so much. I do know/use the flashlight, but wouldn't WHITE make sense??? Hope it works. We don't normally tattoo until they are about 3 months of age. I will have to try one earlier, so we can check it out when we are needing to tattoo everyone. Phil says he can get "people" white tattoo ink. I think that would be a bit expensive LOL
Hopefully, someone on here has tried it.

I know they have white ink for tattooing. My nephew has some on him (LOL he is white though). It's ordered, it is a paste. We normally use the green roll-on. We'll see. You would think they would come up with something that worked GREAT on black ears.

Jeanne

We use the green paste the roll on just didn't work as well as the paste. The boss usually looks like a relation the the green giant when he finishes tattoo work. He puts paste in the ear then tattoos then goes over the tattoo with a tooth brush. The tattoos are easy to read but the green paste is on everything! We tattoo everything at weaning and have never had an issue reading a tattoo on our cows. We now freeze brand but don't do that until yearling, I like the freeze brand much better than the tattoo for permanent identification.

Gizmom

Funny white shows up pretty good on light pigmented skin.
Buuut i'm sure you would get excited while getting a tat
Because they hurt worse than stubbing your toe.

Latest posts