Tattler lids

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Finally getting around to using my tattler lids for the first time. I'll report on how they turn out. Would love to hear any experiences with someone who uses them...

Really stressing out. I have to wait till the pressure is off, then i'm suppose to take the jars out(and they are hot) and tighten the lids.. I have a UGG glove, but those jars are going to be hot and hard to handle...

Was a success and wasn't that difficult. Every jar sealed. Pretty excited about this. You have tattler lids and jars you'll never starve.

Craig Miller":2how1ez2 said:
I've looked at those but I haven't been willing to take the chance
I had one that didn't seal. It was my mistake because I got the rim on crooked. I got mine off amazon. They were very simple and having one not seal is not a disaster because I didn't ruin a lid like the metal ones. I get to reuse it...

Kingfisher":4uf5aiu7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":4uf5aiu7 said:
Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.
What's a tattler lid?

Reusable canning lids. You can look them up on Amazon. The reviews are about half and half good and bad.

Craig Miller":3ea0mioq said:
Kingfisher":3ea0mioq said:
What's a tattler lid?

Reusable canning lids. You can look them up on Amazon. The reviews are about half and half good and bad.
I watched some youtubes before i invested and they didn't look to difficult. And trust me, they weren't hard at all. I've talked with a lot of canners who use them in some FB canning groups too. I hated buying those one use lids. And if you are canning for survival, you need the reusable ones. I can up hundreds of jars of ready to eat meals for 'just in case'... We eat them over the course of a year, but I keep it stocked for 'just in case'. I had a hard time justifying that I was truly a prepper using the one time use metal ones.
I may buy more, 'just in case'.....lol
The lids do suck in so you can tell if they are sealed. THe one that didn't, the lid just lifted off. So there is no question whether its sealed or not. They seem expensive, but once you reuse it a couple times its paid for itself...Then, your canned good are then a cheap way to eat, well other than all the work...

Never seen those till you posted this. They do look expensive. I use re-use the one time lids fairly often if they aren't messed up and they seem to work fine on the second go round. I doubt they will last as long as these though.

I guess I'm not sure I see the point in having more than a couple dozen on hand. The lids cost about a buck a piece and you still have to buy new gaskets.

Jogeephus":1hhc4pt5 said:
Never seen those till you posted this. They do look expensive. I use re-use the one time lids fairly often if they aren't messed up and they seem to work fine on the second go round. I doubt they will last as long as these though.

I have heard of people reusing those. Do you do anything to get the seal part back to useable or just warm them up and use them like new ones? How many have you reused?

Craig Miller":30j3oufd said:
Jogeephus":30j3oufd said:

I have heard of people reusing those. Do you do anything to get the seal part back to useable or just warm them up and use them like new ones? How many have you reused?

We reuse them also. Sometimes several times.
We just make extra sure they seal right. Both during the canning process and where opening the jar.

I just never want to gamble on the metal ones a second time and is a big canning NO NO. I'm sure there are lots of people who reuse them and I'm not telling anyone what they need to do. But its too much work for me to do, to find them unsealed later on. Water bath things I might would risk it because there is no chance of botulism, but not pressure canned..Long term the metal starts to degrade too... I'm careful to clean them after canning, but I still get some that start rusting..
These tattler lids are a little more than double the price of metal. But, second time around they are pretty much paid for. What I like is if the SHTF, I can store food without needing to replace the metal ones to survive. Over the years I've spent a lot on the metal ones and I'm always running out. I feel free now to eat what I can without rationing it because I spent money on a lid i'll just throw away. The metal ones are wasteful, I hate being wasteful.. Just my thoughts, not criticizing anything anyone does..just my opinions..

Craig Miller":2jny7bnr said:
Jogeephus":2jny7bnr said:

I don't do anything more than inspect them and clean them good before making the decision to re-use them. When you can high acid or high salt foods like kraut or pickles the salt will often cause rust spots on their tops which makes them "iffy" but this can be remedied if you just remember to rinse the jars good once they have cooled after canning and be sure to take the rings off. After canning I also touch the top of all the cans to be sure there is a seal and always test the vacuum when I open them. Always have the lids in hot water before putting them on the jars.

I'd like to try the tattlers but they seem to expensive. Looks like they are about $2.25/each and I can buy a sleeve of 345 mason jar lids for $80 so that's only about $0.23/each so there is a big price spread.

Where are you pricing those? I paid 69 cents each on amazon... Where are you getting a sleeve of 345 metal ones for 80? Walmart is the cheapest place I've found them in a 12 pack for 2.99....which makes it around 24 cents each..

Latest posts