Tattler lids

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":307ixtdu said:
https://www.amazon.com/Tattler-Reusable-Regular-Canning-Rubber/dp/B010OTKQTQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502820484&sr=8-6&keywords=tattler+reusable+canning+jar+lids

That's better than Walmart's price for sure.

CG, you mentioned prepping. Have you given any thought to freeze drying food or using retort bags? I use retort bags but haven't gone the freeze drying route yet but a few people in my community have gone this route. Much simpler than canning and takes up much less space. I just haven't taken the plunge to go this route yet.

Jogeephus":24605zxf said:
cowgirl8":24605zxf said:
https://www.amazon.com/Tattler-Reusable-Regular-Canning-Rubber/dp/B010OTKQTQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502820484&sr=8-6&keywords=tattler+reusable+canning+jar+lids

That's better than Walmart's price for sure.

CG, you mentioned prepping. Have you given any thought to freeze drying food or using retort bags? I use retort bags but haven't gone the freeze drying route yet but a few people in my community have gone this route. Much simpler than canning and takes up much less space. I just haven't taken the plunge to go this route yet.
I'll have to google retort bags. I've seen the freeze dry machines....I dunno, I think we can scavenge enough were we live to do ok without freeze drying...but i'll google those bags, sounds interesting..

Oh, so they are like what tuna comes in....I think I got some sour cream in one once...Interesting..I'm going to investigate the bags.

Retort bags are interesting..Not sure they fit into my frugal kind of style though. We eat what I can so that things don't sit on the shelf a long time. I rotate. Love having meals ready to eat. I only can meals like meat, potatoes and beans. Things that take a while to cook, you can use them in many ways, things that are the backbone to a meal. Green beans, peas, tomatoes, I don't can.
The bags aren't expensive, but they are one use. They may fit in at one point, but I have so many jars I've picked up at estate sales for almost nothing, i'll never fill them all.
The fella who's funeral we went to was a major prepper. He was prepper when prepping wasn't cool. One of the smartest things he had was 2 simple motorcycles he kept hidden ready to go. His thought, a way to get out of the city if traffic is all stopped. He also had astronaut food. Had a whole room of it. Not quite sure, but they were in foil packs. COuld be something totally different than what we have today. But, bugs ate through them eventually. They were suppose to last forever. Again, they may have been something different, but they were a foil metal material....

Retort bags are good for meals and meat and easy enough to work with. Just treat them like a jar.

I like the idea of freeze drying. Supposedly the freeze dried vegetables will taste just as fresh as the day you picked them. If this is true and it will work on yellow squash I will end up going that route. I have a friend who has one and she loves it. She has offered me a pack of squash to try but I haven't made the effort to pick it up yet to try. I'm a little scared because if it does do as good of a job as she claims I'll end up buying a dryer and this will set me back 3-4 calves. But with all the produce and berries I can get my hands on for next to nothing its almost wasteful not to put it up in some manner and FD'ing would be so easy.

You need a vacuum machine to seal the retort bags. What do you use?
With the freeze drive things, do you rehydrate?

With the retort bags you need something like a chamber vacuum machine. The important thing is to be able to set the seal time because the retort bags are much heavier than normal bags and require more heat.

With freeze drying you just fill trays with food then freeze dry it. Once dried you just seal the stuff in jars, bags or any type container that will keep oxygen and water from it. Some people add an oxygen eater satchel to each bag to insure no oxygen is in it. When complete all you need to is rehydrate with water. The interesting thing about the freeze drying is that in a vacuum water will boil at room temperature and will freeze at a much higher temperature than normal. But in a vacuum water can only exist as a gas or a liquid so when the water in the food freezes it doesn't rupture the cell walls of your vegetables like normal freezing would AND it doesn't cook your food like canning does so in the end you have a product that is exactly the same as it went into the chamber only there is no water in the product. Think about the mushiness of canned or frozen squash. With freeze drying it is just like it was when you picked it from the garden once you rehydrate it. Devoid of water and deprived of oxygen the food has an indefinite shelf life.

I've had FD potatoes and green beans but haven't tried the squash yet. If I can FD yellow squash then I'll probably go this route because there is nothing like fresh squash and to have this year round would be priceless. Not to mention the other things you can dry.

Ol' 243":3oojrbw1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3oojrbw1 said:
Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.

Can you imagine being there in real life? :lol:
You'll never get invited. Just continue to kick back in Sillyville. You must be the mayor.

Jo, You may already know this but Harvest Right makes a smaller model for home use and they are on sale now. Some friends had FD fruit at their dairy week before last and she let me eat a piece of peach. Without re-hydrating it was like eating a peach flavored piece of Styrofoam. :lol:

slick4591":19pxdeiw said:
Jo, You may already know this but Harvest Right makes a smaller model for home use and they are on sale now. Some friends had FD fruit at their dairy week before last and she let me eat a piece of peach. Without re-hydrating it was like eating a peach flavored piece of Styrofoam. :lol:

That's what my friend has and she swears by it. Price has me straddling the fence but if it puts up squash like I''m told I might buy one which is probably the reason I haven't taken her up on the offer to try her DH squash.

Jogeephus":mp5j4opg said:
slick4591":mp5j4opg said:

That's what my friend has and she swears by it. Price has me straddling the fence but if it puts up squash like I''m told I might buy one which is probably the reason I haven't taken her up on the offer to try her DH squash.
I love yellow squash. I quit planting it because the squash bugs just grossed the heck out of me. But I planted some this year and it was a great squash year. I did not see a single bug. We ate squash, my inlaws ate squash, my mom ate squash, my sister ate squash, all my kids ate squash and my chickens......ate squash...And with this rain, the plants have revived, we'll have squash till frost I bet...

TexasBred":33ucdi4q said:
Ol' 243":33ucdi4q said:
TennesseeTuxedo":33ucdi4q said:
Dang it Craig, I was really curious as to how much longer she'd go on talking to herself.

Can you imagine being there in real life? :lol:
You'll never get invited. Just continue to kick back in Sillyville. You must be the mayor.

Yea, ok.