taste between bull and steer

Help Support CattleToday:

MO Farmer

Reaction score
My brother in law asked me the other day if there was a difference in the taste between a bull and steer. I have never had a bull butcherd before so i did not have a answer for him. I figured a bull's meat would be tougher but was not sure. Is there any difference in taste.

I've never eaten meat from a bull, that I'm aware of. We always butcher steers. I've always been told that there is a difference in taste from a bull to a steer because of the testerone. I would tend to believe this because if there were no difference why wouldn't more feedlots run bulls? Obviously bulls will fight more but they also gain better. Surely more would be willing to risk a few broken fences with the reward of higher gains.

Some of the best steaks I've had came from about a 1300 lb. holstein bull that got electrocuted. We hauled him to the locker plant, they processed him and he was out of this world. We did cook one roast that had a bit of a strong taste to it but other than that one time I couldn't tell any difference in the taste. The bull was breeding cattle heavy but was getting 30 lbs. of grain per day along with the milk cows. Very good indeed.

Novaman

Research has shown a implanted steer will out gain a bull, and while the steer outgains the bull it rarely tears up fences or others steers.

Ask any feedlot owner or manager.
2 reasons they feed steers over bulls.
MUCH easier keeping steers, for obvious reasons.
MUCH better kill price for fed steers over fed bulls.
However a hard fed bull say 12-15 months of age can be as good a eating as it gets. :nod:

options":2jk8ci8d said:
Novaman

Research has shown a implanted steer will out gain a bull, and while the steer outgains the bull it rarely tears up fences or others steers.
I guess that's news to me. Got any numbers to back that?

Depends on the research and facility.
There have been lots of tests done on growth of bull vs that of steers.
Implanted and not implanted. You will find plenty of research contradictory.

We read in a hobby farms magazine, that if you let your Bull grow for 6 months without casterating him, then he will naturally put on weight without hormones. We did that with our Holstien's and they weighed in at exactly 13 months at 1100 pounds.That was pasture,hay and grain twice a day. The meat was the BEST we ever had. Very tender!! All Roasts and hamburger was very good. the butcher hung it for 10 days. So, I'm curious still about how the meat tastes on a bull compared to a steer.

By the way, isnt anyone worried about the growth hormone/implant? Anyone worried that people might be getting some of that in your own body?

We had a bull to break its leg. Ask the butcher about killing him. This what he told me Hambuger would have to have fat added would be too dry and keep him away from cows for 60 days. Did not kill him because we did not have storage for a 2200 lb animal.

hillrancher":vj7027d3 said:
We had a bull to break its leg. Ask the butcher about killing him. This what he told me Hambuger would have to have fat added would be too dry and keep him away from cows for 60 days. Did not kill him because we did not have storage for a 2200 lb animal.

That's crazy. My buddy who owns the local meat company kills 3 to 5 older herd bulls a week. He might take em and feed em for a week or two to have them gaining when they are processed but not for 60 days. They have been at this for 65 years so I am pretty sure they know what they are doing!

3waycross":fe3exiz2 said:
hillrancher":fe3exiz2 said:

That's crazy. My buddy who owns the local meat company kills 3 to 5 older herd bulls a week. He might take em and feed em for a week or two to have them gaining when they are processed but not for 60 days. They have been at this for 65 years so I am pretty sure they know what they are doing!
I figure ol' Micky "D's" probably serves up a few herd bulls occasionally as well.

There is a difference between an old bull and a young bull or steer. The old bull has more flavor. A yearkling or even a 2 year old you probably aren;t going to be able to tell the difference, but if you cna you may like the bull better

slaughter bulls must be good eating, just look at the difference in price.
This is from the Arkansas current week auction report.

Slaughter Cows:
%Lean Weight Average Dress High Dress Low Dress
Breakers 75-80% 1000-1500 54.00-60.00 60.00-70.00 48.00-54.00
Boners 80-85% 950-1400 54.00-60.00 60.00-70.00 47.00-54.00
Lean 85-90% 900-1300 53.00-59.00 59.00-68.00 43.00-53.00
Light 85-92% 700-950 40.00-46.00 30.00-40.00

Slaughter Bulls:
Weight Average Dress High Dress Low Dress
Y.G. 1-2 1000-2100 70.00-79.00 79.00-93.00 60.00-70.00

i am not the least bit worried about implants.
You get more of the EXACT same hormones from eating vegetables than you EVER will eating implanted meat.

The butcher told me steers yield more than hiefer s and heifers yield more than bulls . I don't see them castrating a 180o pound bull and waiting 60 days to butcher . i bet they go to hamburger just like old cows ...

JSCATTLE":can5wh2e said:
The butcher told me steers yield more than hiefer s and heifers yield more than bulls . I don't see them castrating a 180o pound bull and waiting 60 days to butcher . i bet they go to hamburger just like old cows ...
Heifers and steers will average the same dressing %.

Latest posts