Target Practicing

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
I'm not knowledgable about rifles/hand guns, so I was wondering what calibre might have the capability of going through a 3X3X8 bale of hay on the short side? I'm looking to set up a practice target range, and would like to ensure that there is no chance that I could hit anything other than my target. I don't think a .22 has enough power behind it, but what about a 25-06? Seems like a 30-30 could have the power to penetrate a 3' wide bale of hay. Your thoughts? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

A 30-30 is not likely to penetrate a bale. The very blunt tip make is had for them to penetrate.

It is hard for any bullet to pass through a bale if it is good and tight. Probably should put 2 bales just to be safe and test the calibers you like and see which ones only go through one bale.

We us a ply wood box with a back, top, and two sides. The back has a very exptreme angle so when the bullet hits it glances down. We have a thin piece of sheet metal also on the back so it doesn't eventually tear a hole through the wood. We hang targets at the front of the box. It has caught every bullet we have shot at it.

I would use at least two bales, better safe than sorry. We use dirt mounds for our stops. Also, if using hay, the type bullet you shoot will also make a big difference. Stay away from full metal jackets. FMJ will be stamped on the box. They are cheap but are made to penetrate rather than expand. 10" maple trees won't stop them.

A couple of bales would be better with them standing on the non-twine edge. The problem isn;t so much a bullet or 2 unless they happen to hit close to gether. They'll eventually get chewed up pretty badly and make penetration more likely. A couple of bales wide with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood then one more bale would be better. Dirt would be best.

I wouldnt use a bale unless I was going to ditch it somewhere later. (like in an old drainage ditch that needs some filler)
Cows dont take to digesting those bullets too good... :shock:

I guess there is one good thing about living in wet old western Oregon. It isn't hard to find a dirt hill side to shoot in. I complain to my wife that it seems like I'm always walking uphill, everything is always uphill.... What I would give for flat land somethimes.

Alan

Msscamp, I would take that loader tractor and push up a bank of dirt/sand. Bales work well for archery but not for guns. Just not a good Idea. Bullets may tend to follow tracks left by other bullets.
Soon going out the other side. And besides you don't want a bunch of bullet fragments in the bale. What if you end up feeding it. Might cause a good cow to lose teeth prematurely.

mnmtranching":ib89h6jv said:
Msscamp, I would take that loader tractor and push up a bank of dirt/sand. Bales work well for archery but not for guns. Just not a good Idea. Bullets may tend to follow tracks left by other bullets.
Soon going out the other side. And besides you don't want a bunch of bullet fragments in the bale. What if you end up feeding it. Might cause a good cow to lose teeth prematurely.

I'm in agreement here. I for one would not feel a bit comfortable standing behind a 3x3x8 bale of hay with someone shooting a .22 in it much less a 25-06. I have shot .22's through and through a 55 gallon steel drum. I know the hay is less rigid and absorbs more but there is nothing better than a good mound of dirt.

I'd be careful with hay because of hot spots, to much lead in one spot can cause ricochet and that's not fun.I'd stick to sand traps.

Built a neighbor a bullet trap out of 2 old "skidder" tires.

We laid one down on it's side and filled the center with dirt.

Stacked another on top and filled with dirt (not loose sand).

Made a 6 ft. high by 6 ft. wide trap.

The rubber on the tire holds the dirt in pretty well. In case a spot gets a big hole worn in from the bullets, just move around a little bit to a new spot.

Works great.

msscamp I took the butt cut off big old white pine about 4 foot long work's fine for close range need something a bit bigger for long range.

rattler

Thanks, guys. I kind of figured the bullets in the hay bale would cause problems later down the line, and that is why I haven't been target practicing on them just yet. Calman, no ponds - so no dams to use as backstops. MikeC, by 'skidders', you wouldn't happen to be talking about skidsteer tires, would you? If so that would be an option in a while, and I will be able to put your statement to use. Common sense tends to say that dirt would be the best practice range, but I wondered if there might be an alternative. It appears that a dirt backstop is still the best, so I will work towards that. Thanks for all your input - I appreciate it very much! :)

msscamp":s9obz1vn said:
Thanks, guys. I kind of figured the bullets in the hay bale would cause problems later down the line, and that is why I haven't been target practicing on them just yet. Calman, no ponds - so no dams to use as backstops. MikeC, by 'skidders', you wouldn't happen to be talking about skidsteer tires, would you? If so that would be an option in a while, and I will be able to put your statement to use. Common sense tends to say that dirt would be the best practice range, but I wondered if there might be an alternative. It appears that a dirt backstop is still the best, so I will work towards that. Thanks for all your input - I appreciate it very much! :)

A "skidder" to me is the large equipment used to drag whole trees to a timber landing. Huge tires................