Tarentese on

Help Support CattleToday:

Roy E. Mosley Jr.

Reaction score
Tarentese bull on Black Baldie and herford cows. This is what my grandad is doing. I want ta know what his calves will look like. has anybody else tried this?

I'm not sure what color they will end up, but I would save a few of the nicer heifer calves back - they should make some easy keeping replacements.

Roy --- you may consider sending a PM to the member A. delaGarza. He does a LOT of crossbreeding and, as I recall his postings, he has used Tarantaise bulls on a number of different breeds.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":vbb6shyn said:
Tarentese bull on Black Baldie and herford cows. This is what my grandad is doing. I want ta know what his calves will look like. has anybody else tried this?
with Baldies you will some of them with white foreheads and with hereford you will expect Baldies

Will make some excellent heifers to keep for replacements- I have a neighbor that has some Tarentaise cross cows that are old enough to vote and they still raise a good calf- Only drawback I've seen with Tarentaise is the coloring (shading, striping) sometimes gets you docked when selling them.

If I was picking a continental to crossbreed to I would go Tarentaise-- good moderate framed maternal cow-- If you want more info look up the website tied to the Miles City Experiment Station and some of the results they got out of Tarentaise crosses.

I've raise Tarantaise X for 14 years just sold my fisrt set two years ago, I have used them on Angus, Brangus, Black Baldies, Red Brahmah X Gelbvieh.
As the old timer stated you will get some milking mothers and the calves on black cattle will be black to dark brown some may retain the Tarantaise color. Herford or any other white face may give you Red Baldies with probably full white face the width of the outer eye, similiar to what you see in Simmental X.
The brown tinting is prevelent in the black Xs, I intend to move to Tarantaise X Angus cows on Angus bulls. I will keep a Tarantaise bull on about 20 black cows with a little ear to raise my replacements. They are good for about 10 years of production. Good luck.

Some of the best uddered commerical cattle that I have ever seen where
Tarantaise cross's.

No, I do not own any Tarantaise cattle. I have been interested in buying some Tarantaise semen and giving them a try.

My self I do like the breeds natural color they can handel the heat! There very hardy and one of the best of the imported breeds from France!

They where just imported after everone had both the time and money invested in some of the other French breeds, it was all because of the timeing of there importation!

I do not understand why ABS imported the bulls in the frist place if they where not going to carry the semen for awhile. It seems to me they did not market the breed as long as they needed to!

Regards
Lee

Latest posts