Tarentaise twins update

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
They are 4 months old now. Finally got them home from our friend's farm (where the bull and semen tank is). Mom had plenty of milk and still stayed in good condition herself. We've had the coolest, wettest summer I can remember so the forage quality was very good. The down side of that, looks like the excess nutrition went to her feet. She's 6 years old and has always had good feet but this year they grew faster than she wore them down.
twins_4mos_frontview_small.jpg

Well I guess Hillsdown has the "Twins of the Year" this year; she posted a monster of a Gelbvieh bull calf with a good sized twin sister awhile back. And CKC, I still remember that great shot of your big-butted Pied twins. So these might rank a distant third but I'm happy with them for 4 months of age. We got lucky, these are both heifers where the other sets posted were unfortunately mixed sex. Here's a side view.
twins_4mos_sideview.jpg

MichaelB":z229zq1q said:
Nice heifers, MO_Cows!

Does the fact that they are both heifers mean that they should have functioning reproductive systems?

MichaelB

Thanks! Yes, they should both be fertile. If they were mixed sex twins, the odds are stacked against the female being fertile. Freemartins were discussed in another thread recently, I think the statistic quoted was 80% chance of a heifer who is born twin to a bull being a freemartin.

MichaelB":3740r32i said:
Nice heifers, MO_Cows!

Does the fact that they are both heifers mean that they should have functioning reproductive systems?

MichaelB
Yup, he is a lucky fella! Good mom and good lookin babies!

Oh, sorry MO_Cows should have read to the bottom before posting my reply! Your cow is doing a great job. The twin thing is a crap shoot, if they live, if they are a mixed set, if mom claims both, if mom can feed both....if, if, if. But when it works equals double dollars!

Latest posts