Tarentaise crossbreeding to commercial and longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

mpassmore85

Reaction score
Was thinking on trying a tarentaise bull on some of our commercial heifers,
Does anyone have experience with the Tarentaise breed?

Also was thinking about putting a dozen or so solid coloured longhorn cows with a Tarentaise has anyone bred these to longhorn?

All I can tell you is they didn't get popular up here. The female end crossed with Angus made great cows. A neighbor had about 60 of them.

None really around my area either all I know is lower birthweight. 6 hour drive for me to get a good couple of bulls

Small for a continental breed and late to the US cross breeding party.
Milk well and raise a big calf.
Usually crossed with Angus for F1 females.
Even Kit Pharo likes them. :eek:
A local breeder brought TB into the state and killed our Tarentaise demand...

mpassmore85":21synb0m said:
Was thinking on trying a tarentaise bull on some of our commercial heifers,
Does anyone have experience with the Tarentaise breed?

Also was thinking about putting a dozen or so solid coloured longhorn cows with a Tarentaise has anyone bred these to longhorn?

When I see a question like this I always think, why? What are you trying to accomplish with these crosses?

The Tarentaise cows are about 900 to 1,300 pounds. That is about the same as Texas Longhorn cows. Maybe if you crossed these two to create F1 heifers that could then be crossed with a British breed. I think the Devon is the largest British breed, so that would give the terminal calves some size. You would also get the benefit of the heterosis of a three-breed cross.

My longhorn cows aren't the typical that you'd see either average mature cow is 16-1700. All solid, not gangly like most. Pic attached.

Essentially trying to make the perfect commercial beef animal for my area, something that has longevity not just something that'll last 5-6 years if lucky

Believe it or not but there are some longhorn cows that do get big and beefy.

As for Tarentaise (and the precious Aubrac), I would avoid breed them to red cows and red carriers, youll get brindled calves.

Brindle is fine in my area for the few reds I have. Aubrac can't find any within 700 miles

WalnutCrest":3m3wb82q said:
For a variety of reasons, I like Aubrac quite a bit more than Tarentaise.

Have only seen and owned Tarentaise. Would unitize them if the sales barn was more accepting. Will you list the top benefits for each of these French breeds?

Stocker Steve":31uibkll said:
WalnutCrest":31uibkll said:
For a variety of reasons, I like Aubrac quite a bit more than Tarentaise.

Have only seen and owned Tarentaise. Would unitize them if the sales barn was more accepting. Will you list the top benefits for each of these French breeds?

Tarentaise -- http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/47/tarentaise/

Early Puberty
Good Pelvic Size
Strong Maternal Traits
Production Efficiency
Higher Fertility
Female Efficiency
Unassisted calving at two years and on schedule at three years
Optimum milk production with udder and teat conformation for easy feeding

Aubrac -- http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/58/aubrac/

Excellent fertility (one calf each year)
Ease of calving 97% (reduced veterinarian care and cost)
Nursing aptitude (little expenditure on fodder)
Notable longevity
Very hardy cattle

Stocker Steve":58egbeef said:
mpassmore85":58egbeef said:
None really around my area either all I know is lower birthweight. 6 hour drive for me to get a good couple of bulls

Where R U ?

I am in southern Alberta about 60 miles from Montana border

mpassmore85":lwmvrt02 said:
My longhorn cows aren't the typical that you'd see either average mature cow is 16-1700. All solid, not gangly like most. Pic attached.
W

Essentially trying to make the perfect commercial beef animal for my area, something that has longevity not just something that'll last 5-6 years if lucky
what's the productive life of cattle in your area, do they play out that fast ???I wouldn't retain any replacements that didn't last longer than that... Good crossbreds here can last 20 + years...

mpassmore85":2qh7ng5l said:

Those are some big Texas Longhorn cows. I would think they do not need to be bigger than 1,500 pounds.

If it were me, I would cross Texas Longhorn cows with a Brangus bull and keep those cows. Then I would use a black Simmental bull to produce terminal calves. Black calves seem to be popular. Or it could be done the opposite way by breeding Longhorns to a black Simmental bull and keep those cows, and then breeding a Brangus bull to those cows.

I also like the look of cattle from a Texas Longhorn X Charolais. They are mostly a pale yellow, which is good if you have hot summers. Then an Angus or Brangus bull could be bred to those cows.

Any breed crossed with a Texas Longhorn will have more longevity. Some Texas Longhorn cows have calves into their early 20s. I think a Texas Longhorn cross should be able to have calves until about 15 years old.

ALACOWMAN":1rmshkz3 said:
mpassmore85":1rmshkz3 said:
W

what's the productive life of cattle in your area, do they play out that fast ???I wouldn't retain any replacements that didn't last longer than that... Good crossbreds here can last 20 + years...

My area 6-7 years is an old cow for any beef or commercial cattle. They walk a lot etcetera here.

Longhorn cows are 20–25 years pretty easy.

Yellow anything in my area is a big no no almost as bad as Holstein prices lol. Again Brahman crosses not ideal except for sport cattle purposes. Only exception to a Brahman cross is a Beefmaster and very few people use these.

mpassmore85":cfcub333 said:
My area 6-7 years is an old cow for any beef or commercial cattle. They walk a lot etcetera here.

Sounds like you really could use some horned French mountain cow blood in your system.
There R breeders in MT and ND. MT could be less than 6 hour drive.
Most use these breeds to upgrade angus so you may need to dig for some LH cross info.

mpassmore85":1xb7f0ld said:
ALACOWMAN":1xb7f0ld said:
mpassmore85":1xb7f0ld said:
W

so the longhorn life span is the same as claimed there as every where.. But the others will only make it to 7....

Some cross breeds will live longer the LHx commercial cattle even at 1/4 LH blood seems to improve longevity 30% however the crosses are odd looking to me bit too long in the body and they are "leggier" than Lh or the angus crosses we have

Latest posts