Tapeworm started it !!! North vs South

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
O.k.

Tape recently brought up some good points about southern cattle. I believe that there are good and bad wherever you go, and I can't help but believe the same holds true for north and south cattle. I don't think that "north" cattle are any better than "south" cattle, all other things being equal. While there were "sweeping" points made on both sides, I would like to post a new topic and start the discussion in a new direction:

A lot of talk has been made about the brahman influence in southern cattle. Can anyone offer up any evidence (or other), to show what northern cattlemen pay to keep those cattle year round, compared to southern cattlemen. Seems to me that the total cost of keeping a cow would be much higher in the north due to the extreme winters, but maybe I'm wrong. If I am right, then that would mean that per cow I put more folding money in my pocket, unless the price that our northern friends get for the same cow is higher. If that's the case, why would I care about anything else?

All of this assumes that each the north and southern counterparts both do their best to cull out poor cows, and always try to improve their herd.

Let the discussion begin!!!!!!!!

Not worth the effort he made his point might as well move on to some new topic i want to try and stay on top of my program LORD,S will. ill have enough to do. maybe he can stay on his. can discuss till were blue in the face aint made a dent. :hat:

I say send so of those northern cattle down here for the summer and some of ours up there for the winter.

I guess it all comes back to - what works for you. If the brahman influence is so bad, then in my opinion it would be gone by now.

Maybe some of us need to restate what it is we were saying and maybe even appologize, time to take your foot out of your mouth and everyone just move on.

North vs South! Wasn;t that the war of southern aggression?

dun

Certainly don't need a poll or someone to respond to the original comment. Yes it costs more to feed cows through the winter up north. It really doesn't matter where you are, if you are having to feed hay it is costing you money. If you are able to pasture your cows throughout most of the winter without feeding hay and supplement, then you are spending less than the folks up north do.

SF and everyone,

I think that you are all correct. What's the sense in stirring the pot more. I'm sure that all of us who care enough to spend time posting, and working cattle as much as we do all have a common goal: to make the best for our particular area.

So I bow out now, hat in hand, and humbly withdraw the question.

So where's Tape???

You can tell it wasn't a southerner who posted.
Most of the nice people i have met have been southerners...or southern influenced *I live in the south for some years*

I would think the market would tell the truth. Many regards, Donna

donnaIL.

Not sure what you meant, this discussion was a carryover from a previous discussion, but I thought it more prudent (once my brain started workin) to nicely back out and not bash our northern friends, or their cattle. I'm sure tape started the previous post to get a stir out of people, but as ALACOWMAN said, we could discuss this until we're blue in the face, and all that would happen is people would just wind up getting offended. Doesn't seem the proper thing to do.

As for me, yes I am a southerner. I always open the door for women (which many people are surprised to find when I travel north), and say yes mam, and yes sir to anyone who may be my elder. Funny thing is since I started traveling more with my job (I'm a manager at a plastic company), I 've met some really nice people up north. Maybe people are stressed out in the big cities, and react to others accordingly, but show me some rural folks from upsate New York, and they'll be as friendly as can be. Common misconception is that only southern people are nice. Nope, southern people can be just as rude as anyone. I like to think that all people are nice, but when put in certain environments, they behave like the environment (when in Rome)

the simple fact is we have to raise cattle that will perform in our environment.my cattle would not perform as well in montana as they do in alabama it would take a mont. cow a while to adjust to the climate here. and no one can tell me differant when i see my own cattle struggle at times for air when the temps are near 100&100% humidity. and sence we have no feed lot we have to take our calves out of there environment and thats alot of the problem.

Crowderfarms":3jsbj58p said:
I say we let Flaboy' settle it all. He fights Northern Agression on a daily basis, 24/7.

Far be it from me to say anything bad about the North. Ya'll know I don't like conflicts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cypressfarms":1gx172ry said:
Common misconception is that only southern people are nice. Nope, southern people can be just as rude as anyone. I like to think that all people are nice, but when put in certain environments, they behave like the environment (when in Rome)

Southern gentlemen and gentle ladies are not rude.
It is the riff raff that are rude, and they are of no consequence.

Ryder,

I agree with you that southern gentlemen and ladies are not rude.

I've been in the riff raff class myself, though, It was roughly from 1988 to 1992 when I was at LSU. Amazing what tailgating will do to people.

Hey Ryder, where are you from in Southeast LA???

Big difference between southern born and bred and southern transplants that have been here 20-30 years. I consider myself somewhat a lay expert in the field of north and south as far as inherent character. As time goes by the accents are lost, manners go by the wayside, rudeness is inherited, and respect is no longer taught at home. I have seen this over the years as more and more yanks retire down here. You DON'T see REAL Southern children running around trying to be a wigger or trying to get in a gang. Yeah, we have them but we also know where they originated.

You can take the southern boy out of the country and he will still be country. If you take a rude, crude, disrespecting yankee and put him in the country he is still a be nice 'ing yankee.

If it is plain a man is older than me, he still gets "yes sir" from me. If it happens to be a female, she gets "yes mam". With all the transplants down here, when I checkout at a store and say "thank you mam", I get some strange looks.

To the comment that Southerners can be rude, I say Southern is taught and inherited not where you live or where you were born.

flaboy+":12kd307p said:
If it is plain a man is older than me, he still gets "yes sir" from me. If it happens to be a female, she gets "yes mam".
To the comment that Southerners can be rude, I say Southern is taught and inherited not where you live or where you were born
Yes Sir. That's as true as the Bible.

cypressfarms":rsq2fdxs said:
Ryder,

I agree with you that southern gentlemen and ladies are not rude.

I've been in the riff raff class myself, though, It was roughly from 1988 to 1992 when I was at LSU. Amazing what tailgating will do to people.

Hey Ryder, where are you from in Southeast LA???
Between Amite and Franklinton. What 'used to be' dairy country.

Flaboy,

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

The majority of the people are the same whether they are from the North or South. There are a lot of people that share your opinion right here in MN. The difference is when they see a criminal on the news or meet somebody that is rude, they say they must originally be from Chicago, Gary, or Detroit. They seem to think that everything evil must have originated out of state.

From my limited experience, other than a certain accent, there isn't a bit of difference between people whether they are from the North or South.

Latest posts