Taller Bull on grain?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
I posted before about my Highland bull being 1 1/2 now and still too short to breed my cows.
They do mature slower but he should be bigger by now.
I have been feeding him grain, but several people told me to feed him more,up to 10 lbs. of a higher protein so he will grow taller.
Personally I'm thinking this will make him fat ,not taller.
I'm thinking he's gonna end up whatever height he is supposed to be no matter how much grain he gets.
(wouldn't that mean grass fed ones would be tiny?)
Anyways ,what do you guys think?
He's not skinny at all, filling out like a bull just soooo short!
We're afraid he might be a miniature!

If you could please post a photo. If he is a miniature perhaps you'd like to sell him. I would be interested in buying him if he is.

I'll see if I can get a picture on here in a couple of days (never done it and have to take one first)!
I told Hubby (who is complaining that we picked the wrong one) that he is actually worth more if he is a mini.
I wouldn't mind minis but I have 2 cows he can't reach and that's what I bought him for :(
Can you tell from a pic?
Do you have Highlands?
Do minis have to be born to mini parents or how does that work?
His mom was regular size and so was the daddy if he really is the daddy.
I figured I'll give him another 1/2 year or so,see if he grows, but if you can tell me for sure....
Hey,do you know ,there was a mini Highland site but it has not been updated in years (last time I checked a couple of month or so ago anyways),do you know if it moved or something?
Thanks so much,
Chris

Cattle can be stunted permanently and never reach their full potential with lower nutrition. Likewise, you can get a calf to "reach his potential" sooner, by feeding maximum nutrition early in life. Maximum nutrition meaning meeting his full nutritional needs. Most people hit an "in-between" nutrition level, and the animal will eventually reach full growth - just slower.
Feeding grain at 1 1/2 years of age will help, but if he was stunted by nutrition, it may be too late to "catch up", I'm not sure. Was he normal weight and body condition for his age when you purchased him? Hair can be very deceiving.

I've only had him 4 mo. and I only had a cow and heifer and wasn't sure how big he should be . He was sold to me as a yearling but he was like 15 mo. old. I thought he looked about right for a yearling but I don't think he grew any since!
They guys other highlands looked good and healthy (he had his own really nice hay and was feeding grain also)but he did have one that was really small so we were wondering if maybe he has a mini gene in there.