tall grass & small gain

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
We have had huge amounts of rain over the last few months that really made the grass grow but the calves weaned lighter than I can remember. I've heard that fast growing grass doesnt contain as much nutrient as dry weather grass. Seems like some truth to that.

Also wonder how much the of rainfall affects that, too? Lots of rain in heavy bursts vs. lots of light showers?

denoginnizer":3bhdoaph said:
We have had huge amounts of rain over the last few months that really made the grass grow but the calves weaned lighter than I can remember. I've heard that fast growing grass doesnt contain as much nutrient as dry weather grass. Seems like some truth to that.

There probably is some truth in that, but I would be more inclined to chalk up the lower weaning weights to the grass being rank. Cattle don't like rank grass, and they will not eat it as well.

denoginnizer":bd4x7tea said:

They're eating what some call "washy feed". Fast growing lush grass during rainy periods will run 90% moisutre and your nutrients are diluted down are "washed out". Takes a lot of 10% dry matter grazing to get the needed nutrients for good growth.

I have the same problem.
I have alot of clover, I think they could of shart thrue a screen all summer and think that had something to do with them not gaining as fast as they should
Wink ;-)

wink":170ih3ue said:
I have the same problem.
I have alot of clover, I think they could of shart thrue a screen all summer and think that had something to do with them not gaining as fast as they should
Wink ;-)
Yup, same deal here. They've had the spring squirts all year, even now that the grass is poorer they still have them. Way too much rain for quality grass, but boy we have plenty of it.

Latest posts