Tall fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Hi all. New member and but been lurking for about a month. I have a question about tall fescue in my pasture. There is a large percentage of it and of course the cows won't touch it. Right now it's about 12" tall. Should I clip it down lower or leave it? I have plenty of grass and acreage to graze but would rather have more palatable grass to graze on. Just trying to find a good way to manage it? Any advice will be great.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Down in Dixie said:
I have to much grass right now. 12 head with 7 calves on roughly 60 acres of pasture. They are on a rotation as well.

Yup, that's not enough.

Not enough grass or cows? Going to a friends farm tomorrow to help him fix his pin and check out his heifers. Hoping to pick up a few extra head.

Down in Dixie said:

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

Are you sure you have tall fescue? Unless you have already clipped your pasture it should be headed out. If you have already clipped good for you and the grass looks great.

Down in Dixie said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Down in Dixie said:
I have to much grass right now. 12 head with 7 calves on roughly 60 acres of pasture. They are on a rotation as well.

Yup, that's not enough.

Not enough grass or cows? Going to a friends farm tomorrow to help him fix his pin and check out his heifers. Hoping to pick up a few extra head.

Not enough cows. Your grass looks good.

kenny thomas said:
Down in Dixie said:

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

Are you sure you have tall fescue? Unless you have already clipped your pasture it should be headed out. If you have already clipped good for you and the grass looks great.

I clipped it back in April to about 6". Pulled some seed heads the other day and compared to pictures online and I'm 90% sure it's tall fescue.

With all this rain we just got the pastures look awesome. I may clip some of the fields at 8-10" to knock the seed heads and weeds down. I have a pasture I cut for hay about a month ago and going to put the cows on them for a week or two. Just have to get my watering setup better to accommodate a mob type grazing system.

Look on the drivers side in front of the hip. If its sunk in they arent eating. If its flush or even rounded out, they are full. If they fescue pasture that isnt very diverse. They may be getting warm and not eating in the heat of the day. I bet they just arent eating enough for you to notice though.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'm shocked they won't eat 12" tall fescue but so be it. I'd mow it down to about 6 inches and see what they think about that.

Bovines showing their true colors. Too much to eat, one bite 20 paces, one bite 20 paces.......the exact reason I don't waste my time and money on live winter pasture.

Agree on clipping down as stated. 4 things happen: Clippings aid in soil development, clipping causes new tender shoots, clipping improves the overall plant growth...since heads are present, changes the chemistry from mature to growth stage, seed heads make for more clumps and thicker grass on down the line.

Hoping the pasture is dry enough to get on and clip today. Have another pasture I'm moving them to that has some great new growth on it right now.

Latest posts