Taking them in to casterate...

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchwabble

Reaction score
We have 2 holstien bulls and they have been pretty calm. They are about 600 lbs now and they are getting a little crazy. I was told I need to get them casterated, so we are taking them in to have the vet do it next week. I heard we should have banded them. When would I normaly do that?

Bret

Hello, You still can banned them instead of taking them to the vet and paying the extra money or have someone else come in and do it for you or help you, When we usually banned them we wait a couple of weeks or a month after weaning the calves, so around 2 months or 2 in half months of age, make sure they are healthy before doing so, stress on cattle can cause a sickness to get worse or make them weaker. They need to be in good health
also what you can do is cutt them but Im not confortable in that aproach I cringe at that haha :)

What you do is get them in a halter with someone holding them or in a shoot, pull there sack down and make sure u have both testicals take the banned with the tool pull the testicals through the center of the banned double check to make sure u have both testicals pulled down then pull the banned off the tool and make sure its in the proper position above the testicals, after a while they will fall right off.
Then its a steer

Chad

ranchwabble":1cyp536e said:
We have 2 holstien bulls and they have been pretty calm. They are about 600 lbs now and they are getting a little crazy. I was told I need to get them casterated, so we are taking them in to have the vet do it next week. I heard we should have banded them. When would I normaly do that?

Bret

Hi Bret and welcome to CT..

Good for you taking them in to a professional, and yes it is a good idea to get them done. Watch and learn so you can do it yourself in the future; also ask tons of questions when you are there..

Holstein bulls are a little later to mature than beef so you usually have to wait until they are about two weeks old to band them and you can by the bander and the little green cheerios bands for relatively cheap. All you have to make sure is that you have both testicles below the band when you do it..Simple count to two and release count to two again to ensure you have both. Beef bulls can usually been done as early as day one or two after they are born. You can do the Holstein bulls yourself at this age but I do not suggest it if you are not sure of what you are doing..You will need a good chute with a head gate to restrain them and you need a callicrate bander (you can rent them as they are quite pricey to buy). You can cut them yourself as well but I also do not suggest trying that either unless you are experienced..

Good luck with your soon to be steers..

600lbs is a tad big tobe trying to band them.your doing the right thing taking them to the vet tobe cut.as said watch the vet work so you can learn how to cut your next bunch of calves.

Thanks for the reply's - :D The bulls were not very happy but seem to be doing fine... Just walking a little slow. I watched the vet and it looks really easy. All the same I think it was worth the $25 for two bulls. If I don't do the banding I think I'll still take them into the vet next time too.

Bret Wade
http://www.ranchwabble.com :compute:

ranchwabble":1qvp4p1j said:
Thanks for the reply's - :D The bulls were not very happy but seem to be doing fine... Just walking a little slow. I watched the vet and it looks really easy. All the same I think it was worth the $25 for two bulls. If I don't do the banding I think I'll still take them into the vet next time too.

Bret Wade
http://www.ranchwabble.com :compute:

Just make sure you keep an eye on them, watch for bleeding that is the main concern you should have if the bleeding doesnt stop. Good to hear their doing great good luck in the future
Chad

I always banded the bull calves, but if I bought larger ones I just took them to the vet. He only charged $6.00 and that made it well worth the trip in.

Latest posts