Taking the Long View When It Comes to Drought Management in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

rocfarm

Reaction score
Found this helpful to me as a new land owner in terms of thinking about how to deal with the persistent droughts in Texas. Posting it for any other folks out there that might be interested in the history of Texas droughts.

May everyone sell their calves for $450 CWT next year as we recover from this last one 😂.

P.S. Why is there not a board/section of our topics dedicated to drought. As much as we all have to deal with it every few years, kind of surprised there is not a part of this forum specifically dedicated to cattlemen discussing it…

Attachments

• Drought-History-for-Texas-10-Regions-.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 26
Grass, Pasture, and Hay forum has served the purpose thus far.

We should always be in preparation mode for a drought as we are always 3 or 4 weeks away from one. Best thing you can do is move cattle every 3 days or sooner. Don't let them eat to the ground...leave 4 to 8 inches of stubble after grazing.

I'm going to try a warm season grass this year. Sudan or sorghum/sudan and a warm season legume.

Texas would be a challenging location. I commend you Texans!

Last I checked, everyone IS moving to Texas.
Check again.
5 fastest growing populations in 2020
1. Idaho
2. Arizona
3. Nevada
4. Utah
5. Texas *does not included undocumented immigrants

5 of 16 states with declining populations in 2020
1. California
2. Connecticut
3. Hawaii
4. West Virginia
5. Illinois

Found this helpful to me as a new land owner in terms of thinking about how to deal with the persistent droughts in Texas. Posting it for any other folks out there that might be interested in the history of Texas droughts.

May everyone sell their calves for $450 CWT next year as we recover from this last one 😂.

P.S. Why is there not a board/section of our topics dedicated to drought. As much as we all have to deal with it every few years, kind of surprised there is not a part of this forum specifically dedicated to cattlemen discussing it…
First off your a grass farmer converting it to cash. The bovine is a tool it's all about pasture protection!
The bovine part is simple grass in front of the cow bull behind.

Check again.
5 fastest growing populations in 2020
1. Idaho
2. Arizona
3. Nevada
4. Utah
5. Texas *does not included undocumented immigrants

5 of 16 states with declining populations in 2020
1. California
2. Connecticut
3. Hawaii
4. West Virginia
5. Illinois
Depends on which website you visit, it seems. But by sheer numbers, Florida and Texas seem to be on top right now. Surprised Missouri is losing people. Still hoping my ranch will double twice in value over the next year and I can sell my drought ground move back east, and buy three times as much land where I can run 1 AUM per 3 acres and stockpile fescue in the winter. Seems like heaven for a cattleman.

But I just checked out fastest rising land values. Those states are:

1) Kansas
2) Nebraska
3) Iowa
3) North Dakota
5) Minnesota

So I guess I even picked the wrong land😂

First off your a grass farmer converting it to cash. The bovine is a tool it's all about pasture protection!
The bovine part is simple grass in front of the cow bull behind.
On my place I consider myself a soil enthusiast, grass farmer, forb protectionist, arborist, water quality protectionist, wildlife manager and cultural custodian.

But I think I get what you mean.

I don't think drought it that big if a deal. It's just a cycle we go though like in any thing else.

God forbid, if one hit like the drought of 1950 to 1957, I don't think there's a cattleman in Texas that wouldn't think it was a big deal.

And these last two saw lots of places in my area overgrazed. If we don't get a spring green up and they keep the pressure on, the land under those hooves is going to take a while to come back.

Im going to side with @Brute 23 in this.
Drought is a natural and common event in central Texas. It's a opportunity or a disaster depending on how you play it.
One thing you can be sure of. Cattle will get cheap and hay will get expensive. Those that adapt quickly enough will profit from that.

Im going to side with @Brute 23 in this.
Drought is a natural and common event in central Texas. It's a opportunity or a disaster depending on how you play it.
One thing you can be sure of. Cattle will get cheap and hay will get expensive. Those that adapt quickly enough will profit from that.
Not saying you can't be ready and that there's no opportunity. Just saying it's still a big deal:).

God forbid, if one hit like the drought of 1950 to 1957, I don't think there's a cattleman in Texas that wouldn't think it was a big deal.

And these last two saw lots of places in my area overgrazed. If we don't get a spring green up and they keep the pressure on, the land under those hooves is going to take a while to come back.
It comes back way faster than you think with propper management. Land is extremely resilient when given the opportunity.

I like to think of droughts as a way for the land to put people in check. It pushes some completely out, that may need to stay out, and teaches others, that may just need to change their plan a little.

It personally helps keep me on my toes and reinforces that stock low, cull hard, and stay liquid, mentality

It comes back way faster than you think with propper management. Land is extremely resilient when given the opportunity.

I like to think of droughts as a way for the land to put people in check. It pushes some completely out, that may need to stay out, and teaches others, that may just need to change their plan a little.

It personally helps keep me on my toes and reinforces that stock low, cull hard, and stay liquid, mentality
Land will come back that's not the issue . Inputs are.
Twenty years ago I could sell two calves and buy six tons of fertilizer, today one calf won't buy a ton.
It's still about grass management be it pasture or hay, as inputs climb with the current cow prices leaves few levers to pull.
We buy retail and sell wholesale that only leaves inputs to control. This is about knowing the true cost to maintain a cow per day as well as per year.
Might be more economical to run stockers or heavies from March to October.
There is no one size fit's all.
Better sharpen your red crayon and buy some more Big Chief tablets lot of goesintos to look at.

Stay liquid and versatile. I don't know a single person making money moving a hot wire every few days. I know lots of people including myself that make a living with their land, equipment, livestock, wildlife all combined. In any business the money often lies in the cracks between the seat cushions. You just need to know when to look where.

Stay liquid and versatile. I don't know a single person making money moving a hot wire every few days. I know lots of people including myself that make a living with their land, equipment, livestock, wildlife all combined. In any business the money often lies in the cracks between the seat cushions. You just need to know when to look where.

It helps if you are wise enough to put some in your pocket when you find it.

remember when we just called ourselves 'cowmen', or just 'farmers' or 'ranchers' ?
Nope. I'm a newbie. But I did start my herd during this last drought and I don't buy hay. 😉 And at my day job I have even more titles:).

Agree with everyone's comments about liquidity. I don't like debt. Like paying cash for things myself. Started my other businesses with as little cash possible and paid off all debt within a few years. For the small guy, debt is usually a killer. Kinda like cattle having worms, I guess. Just kinda tends to zap your vitality and productiveness.

And I like having grass savings on the surface of my soil. Not sure I agree with the comments about quick land recovery. Seen a few places in central Texas that didn't look like they were coming back so fast, and this past winter was the first year in the 5 since purchase that I'd noticed lots of worm castings in places around the farm. Seems like soil has a type of savings account as well. If you deplete it, it could be hard to replenish. But maybe not if you get two El Niño years in a row or something like that and your soil is already a naturally high producer.

Tempted to just sell my herd after two seasons. Seems everything has gone up since summer and the few calves I do have growing out there would do ok at the sale barn. And replacement cows seem to be high in central Texas right now. But darned if I don't want to see what kind of calves my new bull and cows make. Might be the wrong decision, though.

Latest posts