taking over family farm

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky":lf7a3rvn said:
i stand by my statement that if a sales barn cow hasnt bred back by the time her calf is 300-400 lbs, then she is there for a reason and she wont breed back until after you sell the calf. i run the bulls with the cows year round and the majority of my cows freshen at 10 1/2 months to 11 months after they freshen. unless i am suffering a mental block, to freshen at 10 1/2 months means that cow had to breed at 45 days or 1 1/2 months. i havent seen any calves that weighed 300-400 lbs at 45 days old. in my area, if you see a calf on a cow at a sale barn that is 400 lbs, you can be sure it is more than 45 days old. you can be sure that it is old enough that that cow should be bred back, if she is going to be.
until the last few years, i bought cows bred back in the second period with 500 lb calves, but since the calf price got so high, they split those pairs now, so they arent sold together.

We've got a bull for sale right now that weighed 294 at 53 days. That's not that far off the 300 at 45 days you were talking about. We turned his mother in with the bull that week. Her calving interval on the next calf was less than a year by about a week. The Buckshot Tone bull pictured as a calf in the thread recently pulled up(now in a commercial herd) weighed 273 at 58 days. I'm just saying that there are genetics that will come close to doing it. I just don't know how often you'd find those genetics at the sale barn.

greenwillow, sounds like that is an outstanding calf. it is quite an accomplishment. i havent seen those types at the sale barn but you do prove that they are available

Latest posts