Taking cattle directly to slaughter plant

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I see a lot of "junk" cattle at the sales I go to. For example cripples, skinny holsteins, etc. They often sell for less than $20/cwt or often times by the head for $50 or less. I figure when ranchers have these they just take them to the auction because it is close and a convienent way to get rid of them and the fact that the packer is over 100 miles away. What would these types of cattle bring if one took them directly to the slaughter house? Basically I was thinking about buying a trailer load of them at the auction and then taking them to the packing plant. I have searched the internet and have not been able to find prices for these type of cattle at teh packer. Does anyone know where to look?

Anonymous":3svrdvgm said:
I see a lot of "junk" cattle at the sales I go to. For example cripples, skinny holsteins, etc. They often sell for less than $20/cwt or often times by the head for $50 or less. I figure when ranchers have these they just take them to the auction because it is close and a convienent way to get rid of them and the fact that the packer is over 100 miles away. What would these types of cattle bring if one took them directly to the slaughter house? Basically I was thinking about buying a trailer load of them at the auction and then taking them to the packing plant. I have searched the internet and have not been able to find prices for these type of cattle at teh packer. Does anyone know where to look?
Many of these type of cows go to experienced buyers, who in turn sell them to the packers on a grade and yield basis. Many die before they get to the slaughter house or do not pass inspection, therefore the buyer is out the money that he paid for them.
If you are going to do this you will need to be able to estimate how the carcass will grade and have a real close estimate of what % she will yield.
For the experienced person there can be some good money made doing this. For the inexperienced person it is an easy way to go broke.
You will need to have a good enough relationship with the head buyer for the packing house that you will be shipping to, that he will tell you on a daily basis what they are paying for the different carcass grades and wts.
You can find the daily USDA posted report by going to the CattleToday home page, clicking on markets at the top of the green menu bar, then click on meats. You will find the daily wholesale prices for different grades and wts.there.

Latest posts