Taking Blood

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Hi :D

Im having some trouble taking blood from a couple of cows.I just can't quite pin the point under their tails to do it and i don't wanna go jabbing around un-neccesarily. Can someone explaint o me where abouts excatly and how far approx does the needle need to go in before it gets blood

Thanks

I learned by following the instructions off BioTracking's site. It took a few cows to get the sweet spot figured out but never had any major difficulties. It seems the weather plays a part in how easy it is to bleed them. There are times when I could bleed a cow out in just a few seconds and a week later it takes 20 or 30 seconds.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou
Watched the video a couple of times and i will let you all know how i go

In a case where you absolutely cannot get it from the tail, you can go to the milk vein on the under side of the cow's belly in front of the udder. Be careful, your awefully close to the feet at that point.

smallrancher said:
In a case where you absolutely cannot get it from the tail, you can go to the milk vein on the under side of the cow's belly in front of the udder. Be careful, your awefully close to the feet at that point.[/quote]

No kidding, it is one thing giving an IV cocktail to a sick cow in the milk vein but another to stick them when they are healthy...Them legs sure can reach a long ways, and fast too.. :lol2: :help:

hillsdown":2xpf4neb said:
smallrancher":2xpf4neb said:
In a case where you absolutely cannot get it from the tail, you can go to the milk vein on the under side of the cow's belly in front of the udder. Be careful, your awefully close to the feet at that point.[/quote]

No kidding, it is one thing giving an IV cocktail to a sick cow in the milk vein but another to stick them when they are healthy...Them legs sure can reach a long ways, and fast too.. :lol2: :help:

Most of us learn by experience that cows can kick every direction on a compass...all at warp speed and orginarily with perfect aim. :cry2:

HAHA i think i will pass on the milk vein :lol2:

Ear,thats a new one for me.
I breed and show horses so with IV injections it has always been in the jugular(sp)

Weather has been pretty ordinary at the moment so hoping to get to try again soon

We DNA all our animals every year. You can use the ears, but I think the tail is best. A little practice and it becomes very easy.

m&kCattle":33zmcoe8 said:
We DNA all our animals every year. You can use the ears, but I think the tail is best. A little practice and it becomes very easy.
Agree with you. Never done the ear but I have enough trouble trying to get tags into some animals much less draw blood from the ear. With the tail they can move around a bit but they can't "toss" their back end around. The only worry might be getting kicked but I haven't had that problem. I've heard that lifting the tail keeps a cow from kicking anyway? The point is taking blood from the tail is by far the simplest method IMO.

novaman":15vv9el3 said:
m&kCattle":15vv9el3 said:
Agree with you. Never done the ear but I have enough trouble trying to get tags into some animals much less draw blood from the ear. With the tail they can move around a bit but they can't "toss" their back end around. The only worry might be getting kicked but I haven't had that problem. I've heard that lifting the tail keeps a cow from kicking anyway? The point is taking blood from the tail is by far the simplest method IMO.

Lifting the tail will keep them from kicking. We used to milk in a single tie stall barn. This was the only way to keep from getting launched across the barn with some of the new heifers : )

m&kCattle":182sosok said:
We used to milk in a single tie stall barn.

What is a single tie stall barn ?

When I DNA I use hair follicles ,only under special circumstances do they require blood drawn, and then they will send someone out to do it as well.

hillsdown":2ol2f3m7 said:
What is a single tie stall barn ?

When I DNA I use hair follicles ,only under special circumstances do they require blood drawn, and then they will send someone out to do it as well.

Every cow was was singled by themselves in their own stantion...as compared to a parlor where they come in as groups and are not tied in stalls individually..pretty comin up here, you still bring 40-50 in at a time but like I said they are then each singled into their own stall...lots of up and down taking off and putting on milkers. This was popular before parlors were big in our area....hope that explains it.

I guess thats the difference between who does your DNA and who does ours. Ours has to be sent in on blood cards.

Up here they are just called tie stall barns/stantion barns,not single ,when you say single tie stall barn it sounds like you only milk one cow. ;-)

alacattleman":3da4pwu2 said:
the ear , ive drawn blood from the ear's before

if you are bleeding from an ear, you apparently havent tried the tail.

Latest posts